2004 - 2008 F-150

Factory radio won't turn off?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory radio won't turn off?

My friend at work has a problem with his 04 XLT. His factory radio will not shut off after he turns his truck off and opens/closes the door. Anyone else ever had a similar problem, if so what was the cause? Maybe the radio went defective. Or something is wrong with the accessory power circuit? Anyways, he's taking it in next week for service, so he'll have the dealer check into it.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:04 PM
I'd help you out only cause i know the fords service tool (IDS) system can read open wires, and comes back with a "B" code instead of your usual "P" codes that normal OBD scanners read.

But other than that trying to go through all the looms of wire might take some time

Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Steve,

A friend of mine had a similar problem, radio would not go off and you could open and close power windows with key out and truck sitting for hours. He said that the dealer replaced a relay or something like that. He could not remember exactly what was replaced.

Ron

Old 02-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey Ron, what's up? Thanks for the info. I told my friend to pull the fuse for now so he doesn't kill his battery at night.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
Hey Ron, what's up? Thanks for the info. I told my friend to pull the fuse for now so he doesn't kill his battery at night.
Why pull the fuse? Can't your friend just turn off the radio? Will it not shut off at all, or just not shut off when the door is opened?

Old 02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Check or replace the "accessory delay relay" (02 in the fuse/relay panel). If you friend has done the "fog light on High Beam" mod he could have knocked it loose as it is just below the "202" relay that is moded for that procedure..

He could also remove that relay and see if the stereo etc. stops working with the key off.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
Why pull the fuse? Can't your friend just turn off the radio? Will it not shut off at all, or just not shut off when the door is opened?
because the power is still there to the radio. You shut it off by hitting the button on the radio, and the clock is still on. I'm not sure how much power that still pulls from the battery, but leaving that on all night when temps have been down to 10 degrees lately, could cause a dead battery? No, it doesn't shut off when opening the door.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by 928gt
Check or replace the "accessory delay relay" (02 in the fuse/relay panel). If you friend has done the "fog light on High Beam" mod he could have knocked it loose as it is just below the "202" relay that is moded for that procedure..

He could also remove that relay and see if the stereo etc. stops working with the key off.
he's done no mods. But we'll check that relay, thanks.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Radio wont turn off

I have a 2006 F150 King Ranch, the driver’s seat quit working along with the adjustable peddles. Thanks to this site I found out about the factory splice that is just below the fuse box on the passenger’s side. I fixed that and all was great. The next day I drove to work and when I was getting out of the truck the radio was still on, after playing around with it I noticed, all the power windows work without the key in, the sun roof works, back sliding window, and all lights in the power window and lock buttons are still on. They stayed on all night. When I turn the key to accessory I can hear the relay clicking, I open the driver’s door and I can hear it clicking again but the radio stays on. I pull the relay that is clicking and it all still stays on. the dome light comes on when i open the door and the mileage come up when i open the door. they go off when i close the door. What could this be?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
There is a (I believe) purple wire near the back door if you have a supercrew or extended cab that is one wire in, two wires out. When the truck was built, the techs wrapped it in duct tape.

The wire gets wet and if you pull it apart, then it will just crumble.

Do a search, I don't remember the name, or titles to search for, but my radio was staying on until the 30 minute timeouts. I found that wire and solderere/sealed, and it has been fine ever since.

{EDIT} - link to the original discusssion, bottom of first pages talks about the wires spliced with "hockey tape"

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ferrerid=48832

Last edited by don04; 07-05-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
All,
I'm having a similar problem (06 Lariat Screw 4X4) but not as severe as many in this thread. My stereo stays on (and never goes off) with key out and door open. However, I'm not experiencing any of the other issues discussed. Door ajar light & chime works with every door, windows don't have power after door is opened, nor does the sunroof. The dome light comes on for a few minutes with any door opened (closed).

This seems isolated to the stereo (and clock).

I inspected the violet splice as described and it has an appropriate shrinkwrap seal, not hockey tape (previuos repair maybe??). The lower channel did have water but I have found no corrosion in any wire.

Odd thing, my stereo was off when I parked two days ago (went off when I opened the door). I went out to the driveway this AM and heard it playing. Daughter said it wasn't on when she went to school at 07:30 but at 10:30 (when I went out), it was on. So, it turned on by itself sometime between 7:30 and 10:30. It was raining two days ago but not yesterday or today.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Pull the radio fuse to see if it resets it......get the battery checked .....these trucks do strange things when the battery is going....

Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Tried the fuse earlier. Started the truck, put it thru the gears, turned it off. No change. Stereo stays on. I have to turn it off manually. Power is still applied all the time.

Update: Same issue remains. The power draw must be pretty bad because the battery was so dead this morning that I couldn't even unlock the doors remotely. Charged and tested the battery and it's good.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

Last edited by lowflyer; 12-20-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Also, can anyone tell me why the primary circuit (Fuse 31) is always hot? It doesn't make much sense to me. If it's always hot, seems to me the stereo would always be on. I checked the schematic from Chilton's and it is supposed to be always hot. So, how does the ignition (and further the Delay Relay) turn it off?

If I pull fuse 31, it kills the power but so far, that's the only way I've been able to do so. BUT... that power is supposed to be 'always hot'. So, wtf?? How is it EVER off?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM
same issue with radio and fixed

Once again, THANK YOU!! I too just had same problem with my 2004 supercrew lariat. It also included power seat memory and dome light not working properly. I followed the steps in checking the purple wires and they were indeed corroded. After fixing this issue, all works like new immediately. You guys saved me a ton of cash at the mechanics!! Thanks!!

Last edited by hoythaulnford; 01-01-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory radio won't turn off?