2004 - 2008 F-150

2008 f250 3v 5.4l missfire issue!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 f250 3v 5.4l missfire issue!

Ive got a 2008 f250 work truck, 80k miles, ran fine a couple weeks ago, had some body work done, drove home and started to spit and sputter a little, drove to another garage the next day and it was skipping pretty bad, but could still do well above the speed limit, Got it home and it would barely go 50,

Now, it hardly moves, the intake makes a very odd squeak occasionally, but it never stalls, almost like its in a limp home mode...

Put all new mastercraft plugs in it, and a fuel filter, and a tank full of new gas, no changes,

Its throwing P0300 random missfire, and P0302 p0305 and p0306, missfire on cyl 2, 5 and 6. So Ive swapped the #1 coil or COP with #2. And swapped #5 with #7. and Swapped #6 with #8. No changes, and yes I clear the codes every time.

Did the same procedure with the injectors and still no change.

Tried resetting the pcm by un hooking the battery and still nothing different.

One time the muffler turned bright red after driving it for quite a while and not making it very far. also,

The cats are reading the same exact temperature on the scan tool I am using.

No 02 sensor codes and they all seem to have good voltage. like .01 to .09 ish area.

I am stumped, haven't checked the compression yet because I dont have one that will fit in the queer setup of these ford motors...

getting slightly irritated and any and all input would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
i had a similar problem with an explorer sport trac i used to have. got some real bad gas coming back from sheppard AFB texas to mississippi. it started misfiring really bad going up hill and other times under power, even threw the check engine light after about 50 miles. gas probably had water in it. got it back after the 700 mile trip and did a complete tune up. still had the issue of being very sluggish and having to start it more than once sometimes. top speed was only about 74 mph after that..i think the cats (all 4 of them) got clogged up from all that and was choking it down.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
So did you ever fix it or???

Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM
i "bandaged" it more or less. if i would have replaced the cats or just cut them out all together it more than likely would have fixed it. i ended up trading it in on the f150 i have now. it was having various other problems too. but your situation sounds a lot like mine. i would take a closer look at the cats if i could.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 f250 3v 5.4l missfire issue!