2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 F150 HID Retrofit with LS430 Projectors - Pics Included!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 HID Retrofit with LS430 Projectors - Pics Included!!

Hello All,

So this is the begining of the install thread that will eventually show you the final project of what happens when you take the real HID system from a Lexus LS430 04 to current model (which has arguably the best HID projectors on the market) and combine that with a 2005 Ford F150.

These Lexus LS430 projectors have been modified to be bi-xeon (high beam and low beam), color in the cuttoff, and a sharp cuttoff.

Here are pictures of the LS430 projectors as we try to get them to fit into the 7 inch halogen reflector and then mount this into the headlight. The install will continue this weekend and possibly into next week. I will update this thread accordingly.

Right now it's a stainless steel cut out that fills the "gap" between the edge of the chrome LS430 shroud to the edge of the 7 inch halogen reflector. I'll be honest and say I don't think it looks too hot as I'm not thrilled with the cutting of the stainless steel edge and the fact that it doesn't look great with the chrome.

What do you guys think? Are you a fan of the stainless steel?

Here is a picture of the headlight. Try to imagine that 7 inch halogen reflector removed and the first picture in this thread put in it's place. Anyone bored who is good with photoshop is welcome to cut it out and throw it in there for me. I would be eternally grateful for the look.

Duke

Old 01-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
ohhhh thats a sweet project, im addin this thread to my favorites to keep checking in on it. If you dont like the SS and chrome clashing, you could paint the inside of the stock housing to match the truck color. that would look good IMO...

Oh and i got you the hook up with photoshop:

Later,
-Patrick

Old 01-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
ohhhh thats a sweet project, im addin this thread to my favorites to keep checking in on it. If you dont like the SS and chrome clashing, you could paint the inside of the stock housing to match the truck color. that would look good IMO...

Oh and i got you the hook up with photoshop:

Later,
-Patrick
Hey Patrick,

Wow thanks for photoshoping that for me so fast! Yeah I'm not crazy about the SS so I'm looking into acrylic mirror which resembles the stock chrome look.

I'd paint the inside and use carbon fiber but I've got chrome bumpers, grill surround, and a billet grill. So the headlights wouldn't look so great painted black like the Harley Davidson headlights.

Thanks again,

Duke

Old 01-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Sure, it took me about 5 minutes, so at 40 bucks an hour that would mean you owe me *pulls out calculator* 7.50 lol pm me for paypal information,

Lol I wish i got paid to do that, it really is nothing hard.

so your truck is black? im not that familiar with HID lights, is there a way you can sand the chrome, or is it necissary for light reflections?

Good luck with it all.
-Patrick

Old 01-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Well with projectors the chrome isn't neccessary for reflection like it would be for say a halogen reflector. However, it is imporant to have the chrome center shroud on the Lexus LS430 projectors because that is a combination of projector and reflector. The LS430 projector projects like out the lense and releases some light out the bottom to reflect to the sides. The result with a beam pattern that spreads roughly 8+ highway lanes. The output is truely amazing and everyone will be very suprised when they see the finished product.

Duke

Old 01-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Hey Patman03SprCrw,

Could you do me one more favor. Could you put that projector (first picture in the thread) in this 7 inch reflector area on my truck in either one of the two pictures below? That way I can see what it will look like installed on the truck.

Thanks again,

Duke

Old 01-28-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm gonna have to watch this thread!

Go Duke!!!

Old 01-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Duke... Looking good man. Just dont rush and try to get them finished in one day. It took me about 3 weeks workign here and there to get them installed on my motorcycle.

As far as the trim peice you are using I am with you. It does not look that great with the chrome. You can remove the projector and paint the trim ring with the stock reflector and the just the bucket the stock reflector sits in flat black. That way the rest of your headlight is still chrome to match your truck and you will not get any stray light coming off the inside of the headlight. Just an idea for you to shoot around and I am sure someo ne can photoshop that for you.

I have a couple of questions. Have you put the reflector with the projector mounted back in to the headlight housing yet?
Does the projector line up with the opening in the back of the headlight?
Did you need to cut out the back of the housing at all? If so how are you going to seal it up?

Sorry about all the questions. I am going to be doing a mod like this in the next month or so. I had been looking for replcement projector headlights for our trucks and then was going to swap out the projector with a HID one. But with Patman03SprCrw photoshoping the projector in the headlight for you I think its going to turn out very well. So much that I think I am going to hold off right now and wait to see you finished project and then base which way I am going to go from that..

Old 01-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Banned
That's awesome!

Old 01-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Hey Patrick,

Wow thanks for photoshoping that for me so fast! Yeah I'm not crazy about the SS so I'm looking into acrylic mirror which resembles the stock chrome look.

I'd paint the inside and use carbon fiber but I've got chrome bumpers, grill surround, and a billet grill. So the headlights wouldn't look so great painted black like the Harley Davidson headlights.

Thanks again,

Duke
Project is an expensive one so if you want the chrome look send them out to be chromed. shouldn't be too bad in price?? I'm liking the project plans with those projector Duke. I would love to put some HIDs in my truck but putting money to other priorities at the moment.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by CVC14
Duke... Looking good man. Just dont rush and try to get them finished in one day. It took me about 3 weeks workign here and there to get them installed on my motorcycle.
Yeah I definitely don’t want to rush these final steps. I’ve actually been researching, saving, purchasing, and mocking up ideas since May of last year! Part of it, was that these LS430 projectors are extremely rare to find at a good price (under $1,000 for a pair).

As far as the trim peice you are using I am with you. It does not look that great with the chrome. You can remove the projector and paint the trim ring with the stock reflector and the just the bucket the stock reflector sits in flat black. That way the rest of your headlight is still chrome to match your truck and you will not get any stray light coming off the inside of the headlight. Just an idea for you to shoot around and I am sure someo ne can photoshop that for you.
You know what that is not a bad idea. First I think I’m going to aggressively pursue the acrylic mirror idea as it looks just like what the OEM headlight is made out of. If that doesn’t paint out, then the stainless steel and ring of the halogen projector that is showing could be painted black with hi-temp paint to match the truck. I’ll open the picture in paint and try and paint it black. It won’t look entirely realistic, but it’ll give us an idea.

To cut down on stray light we are also wrapping up the area on the projector top that gives off stray light with aluminum tape. There has to be stray light out the bottom of the projector as you may see that opening in the bottom of the chrome shroud. That leaks light out the bottom and projects it to the side. This allows the projector to do two things, 1) look more like a reflector HID system, which looks better on big headlights. 2) Create a SUPER WIDE beam pattern that can stretch to something like 8 highway lanes wide.

I have a couple of questions. Have you put the reflector with the projector mounted back in to the headlight housing yet?
Does the projector line up with the opening in the back of the headlight?
Did you need to cut out the back of the housing at all? If so how are you going to seal it up?
One awesome resource for information on HID retrofits that I used a ton was HIDForum.com. You have to register to read everything, but it’s free. On there you’ll find thousands of HID retrofits and “How-To’s”. Through some cutting of the rear of the headlight housing, the projector fits in the headlight and utilizes the stock height adjusting system. We’re putting some Acura RL moisture packs to help soak up any stray moisture that may leak in over time. Not quite sure the exact method of sealing them up that we’re going to go with. But it’ll probably be Nissan butyl rubber sealant or different silicone epoxies. Just have to make sure what we use will not give off gasses inside the headlight and create fogging.
Sorry about all the questions. I am going to be doing a mod like this in the next month or so. I had been looking for replcement projector headlights for our trucks and then was going to swap out the projector with a HID one. But with Patman03SprCrw photoshoping the projector in the headlight for you I think its going to turn out very well. So much that I think I am going to hold off right now and wait to see you finished project and then base which way I am going to go from that..
No problems with questions. I enjoy helping everyone as a ton of people have helped me on this project and hundreds of other projects on this truck over the past year. There are several reasons I didn’t use projector headlights that are being made for our trucks.
1. The projectors in those headlights aren’t designed for HID, they are halogen so you’ll have to find HID projectors that will fit in their place.
2. I wanted the best HID performance that I could get. I’ve spent a ton of money on this (roughly $1,200 and that was finding great prices on parts). Ususally you can only get a so-so HID projector into those projector headlights. They still do OK, but like I said, I wanted better than OK.
3. I flat out didn’t like the looks of any of them. There were one set on a truck at SEMA that I liked but it was a little bit too aftermarket looking for my taste.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by JS04CREW
Project is an expensive one so if you want the chrome look send them out to be chromed. shouldn't be too bad in price?? I'm liking the project plans with those projector Duke. I would love to put some HIDs in my truck but putting money to other priorities at the moment.
Yeah my options for chrome are looking like 1. sending the piece out to be chromed. 2. look into chrome spray paint. 3. Use acrylic mirror

This is definitely an expensive project. Though it can be done a lot cheaper than what I did. I’ve been planning and saving over the course of a year, so that helped the hurt of the price. But you could probably get away with doing this for under $500. Still spendy, but better than the $1,200 that I’ve spent and I’m using the best projectors on the market. Though I did find awesome prices on this equipment. A big cost was having these custom made into bi-xeon as the LS430 is only single xeon (just low beams). Then I also had them make it have a sharper cutoff and give it more color. The final product should be awesome. I have another thread floating around with pictures of the projectors in action. If you guys search, you should find how the light output will look.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work man... I'll be following this one closely. Glad to see that you have your truck back!

Old 01-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replay.
Just one thing. Did you have to modify the back of the headlight housing at all? Is it still going to look stock from the back? Thats what I should have asked in the first place.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Nice work man... I'll be following this one closely. Glad to see that you have your truck back!

Well I don't have the truck back yet unfortunately.

They didn't finish this week but I should have it Monday. They have to replace a bracket on the ARE cover and do an entire detail inside and out to clean it up.

There are still a bunch of scratches on the passenger side and rock chips on the front to fix from being towed for 4 hours. So they'll fix the scratches and rock chips and then I'll put clear bra on the front to keep it protected.

Duke

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 HID Retrofit with LS430 Projectors - Pics Included!!