2004 - 2008 F-150

Rear View Mirror Removal - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear View Mirror Removal - HELP

Anyone successfully removed the rearview mirror from their truck? I have searched and only found a couple posts. Sounds like a special technique and/or tool is needed.

I would like to add an auto-dimming, temperature, compass display mirror to my 05 XL. I don't want to chance cracking my windshield doing this myself. Nor do I want to take a chance on a glass shop or dealership cracking it and not assuming responsibility.

I am hoping someone here has learned the magic trick and can share.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My method is sorta hit and miss. I use a small pocket screwdriver and go into the gap in the rear view mirror where it slides onto it's mount on the windshield. Then I pry downwards, point of the screwdriver facing towards the mount, which makes the ears on the rear view mirror spread outwards and (hopefully) popping it loose from the windshield. Disclaimer applies here: I have my share of broken windshields (two in five years) doing this. If in doubt, find a glass shop that'll pop it off for you.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Talking

Thanks Quintin for the reply. I saw one of your earlier posts about this. Thats when I got scared

Old 02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Will the aftermarket mirror fit on the stock mount,I think they have adapters if it will not fit.I installed one of those mirrors on the Tundra I had and it did mount on the O.E. mount.Trying to pry metal of of glass sounds like a bad idea.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
trust me, its worth taking to a shop

Yea you can pry on the outer bracket to get the mirror to unseat from the glued on piece. I did that and then after that i broke my window trying to get the bracket moved up. I am 6'6" and it creates a nasty blindspot in the factory location. So when i went to get my new window on i asked them prior to assembley to move the bracket up for me, that way if they broke the window it was on their clock.
I am happy to drive it now and i get better visibility from it when its up higher.
this is how they should come off the factory.

I dont have a stock picture to compare to but you can tell its all the way up agains the ceiling.

If you are dead set on doing this yourself, have someone on the outside of the glass with a blowdryer or a heat gun and warm up the glass and bracket and it makes the glue alot more gooey and it can be moved.
-Patrick

Old 02-10-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In the service manual, it mentions a release tab and using a pick or something else bent 90 degrees to go in and depress the tab. Maybe it's the 2% factor (gotta be 2% smarter than what you're working with), but I've never been able to make that release tab business work.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks again Quintin. WIth your help, I am now brave enough to look at it, and am 99% sure its going to a glass shop.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Go for the glass shop. The tint guy was at our shop and was going to throw a strip across the top for me so I ran out quick a proceeded to crack the windsheild trying to get the mirror off. And I will say I didn't barely breath on it and it cracked. So take I to the shop you would also have replace it cause you may need to anyways. And of coarse this was exactly 2 weeks after I got the truck

Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Would it be easier (and safer) to heat the mounting area of the windshield and try to pull the mount off with the mirror still attached, then just re-adhere the mount with the proper adhesive?

Old 02-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Heat will break the glass, ask me how I know??

With patience you should be able to take a small 90 degree ice pic and release the mirror from the glued on mounting tab. It's the tab that is impossible to remove.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmpancoast
Would it be easier (and safer) to heat the mounting area of the windshield and try to pull the mount off with the mirror still attached, then just re-adhere the mount with the proper adhesive?
That would be a " Super, Euper, Duper, NO NO......"

Anyone that removes it WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BREAKAGE, glass shop included.....
Search, I've posted the correct ways to remove both types of ford mirrors and the chance of breakage.....

Old 12-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Rear View Mirror Removal

Let me begin by saying that I am not responsible for any damage, broken windows, injuries, problems or other issues involved with working on your project. I also suggest not doing this in cold weather or on cold glass.

Now that we have gotten that out of the way, I thought this might help someone.

Notice the 2 tabs on the bottom clip that keeps the mirror from sliding off of the bracket.

I cut the piece of wood so that it was wide enough to fit tightly and not fall out.
Toilet paper wall mounting bracket.
At this point I just pushed the metal bracket towards the piece of wood lightly and held it with one hand while I started sliding he mirror off.

I bought my truck recently from a used car lot and noticed instantly that my mirror was vibrating constantly and it was really annoying! I took my truck to the dealership, called a tint shop and even went to a popular automotive glass company and spoke with a "technician" there. Nobody wanted to touch my mirror and if they did they would not be responsible for paying for or replacing my glass if it broke during removal of the mirror. I went back home and decided to just do it myself.

I have attached pictures of what I used and what worked for me. I suggest working very slowly and being careful. I decided that the tools I have seen to do this have a small pressure point contact area on the glass and that is probably the primary cause for the glass to break because the force is so focused. I decided to use a thin piece of wood to disperse the surface area and pressure caused by prying. I used an extra metal wall bracket for installing a cheap toilet paper dispenser because it was already bent and very strong.

I put the wood block up in the bottom opening of the mirror bracket against the windshield and slid the metal bracket between the bracket and the wood block and slowly pried until I felt some like the clip should be released and pushed the mirror arm up off of the mount.

Once I got the mirror off I found that the metal clip that is anchored to the mirror has 2 rivets holding it and they were both VERY loose. I used a drift pin and flattened the rivets down some more with a hammer to tighten them. I held my mirror against a block of wood padded with a towel so it didn't mess up the finish while I was hammering.

Reinstallation on was as easy as sliding the mirror down onto the bracket.

Last edited by 2004F150Lariat; 12-20-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Install & tighten?

Awesome write up above. Mine is reinstalled, but seems loose on the glued windshield button. Any way to tighten it up so no wobble?

Old 01-06-2018, 07:08 PM
Tightening

Originally Posted by JSH239TX
Awesome write up above. Mine is reinstalled, but seems loose on the glued windshield button. Any way to tighten it up so no wobble?
If the mirror has been loose and rattling for a while it may have actually removed some of the material from the mirror base itself. I would suggest using some shimming material to make it fit tightly but that means removing the mirror again... or you could try to squeeze something in from the top like a toothpick, shish kabob skewer or something else durable and thin and just cut off the excess.The only other option that I can think of would be to buy a replacement mirror from a salvage yard or online and hope for a better fit.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I had this problem on a rental, I used a toothpick... shoved it in, then got my side cutters and cut it flush. Solved the problem.

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror Removal - HELP