2004 - 2008 F-150

5.4 3v swap into 96 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do I get the impression that most posters in this thread have never done a 'swap'?

The usual swap involves an engine/chassis combo that is not common, and you usually watch the cost.

We can presume he got a pretty good deal on the engine or chassis but a good swap is its own excuse.

As to beefing the bottom end, a light weight load at 5700 is probably no more stress than a heavy load at 5100.
Probably a lot less stress.

Most bottom end mods are for real racing and not needed on a street or normal use vehicle.

I would like to see any pictures, especially of the exhaust setup.
Chris

Old 01-06-2006, 02:59 PM
i will give you pics. i have documented this swap completely on http://forums.stangnet.com

as far as pcm... why do i want to be handicapped by computer controlled throttle. i don't have any issues with my pcm. mt throttle response id better than 05pcm, no throttle reduction at shift points to save drivetrain. no ev limiter at 5000. 5.4's can survive 5500 for ever. the issue is concerning valve stem to head seperation.

as far as 4.6 to 5.4. LS chevy is my target. 400hp and 400lb-ft out of 6.0 LS.

you are never going to get that out of 4.6. and revving and gear has no advantage when i forge it and shift at 6500. i started with 300/365 4.6 300/325. for every equal change it get more. don't forget i can cam it more and keep torque. ther is a ford engineer whao has lareadt gotten 397 rwhp out of a 5.4 3v. with little mods. nothing outragous. you will NEVER get that out of NA 4.6 with same mods. besides i will have 40 lb ft or more torque over 4.6. cubes is why 4.6 guys are losing to chevy. i will not have those isses.

i need a track run to give exact figures but with basically no changes i am in the 325 hp range. i just pulled and full bolt-on 4.6 out and it was WAY under the power level of this thing. 4.6 3v has 256 rwhp factory. whoopie. all you guys need to do is turn it a few more rpms and wella!!! yo uhave more hp than 4.6 with no other changes. 350 rwhp out of a cammed c port 4v 4.6 is pulling teeth. i am not talking about all out racers, because Al Pappito has built a 5.4 4v tha tturns 8500 rpms. and i thing he said 885 na hp. try that with a 4.6.. it can never happen.

and supercharging... 425/400 for 4.6 saleen. try 450 505 for 5.4 3v with forgings. not really any arguments for 4.6. rpms and gearing... i can do that too. my block is good for 1250 hp. 4.6 ... not really.

forgings allow 8500 rpms for mine. huh....

Old 01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Why do I get the impression that most posters in this thread have never done a 'swap'?

The usual swap involves an engine/chassis combo that is not common, and you usually watch the cost.

We can presume he got a pretty good deal on the engine or chassis but a good swap is its own excuse.

As to beefing the bottom end, a light weight load at 5700 is probably no more stress than a heavy load at 5100.
Probably a lot less stress.

Most bottom end mods are for real racing and not needed on a street or normal use vehicle.

I would like to see any pictures, especially of the exhaust setup.
Chris

i lost the pics of the custom headers when my laptop crashed, but some day i will pull then out my next headers are going to be stepped. i will make them myself also. as far as cost... i spent $5200.00 so far just on motor and stuff to make it work. car was $7000.00. but costs are not over. figure $20,000.00 for necessary upgrades to handle slicks and the converter stall(it has PI converter) look to stangnet and search for posts by billfisher. i go by that over there. later dudes. -bill

Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
Sure, but they have beefed internals. That makes a huge difference. And they are 4v ...

no way dude. the only 4.6 withforged internals was the terminator 03,04 cobras. 4.6 3v has no forged parts. at least i have a steel crank with this.

all 4.6's can turn 7000. i shifted my 4.6 at 6100 for giggles.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Suspended
Im pretty sure he was talking about the 5.4L in the GT and Mustang GT500.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
I'd have to agree - owning both an '05 5.4L 3V in my Lariat SCREW and the '05 Mustang GT with the 4.6L 3V - the 4.6 is intended to rev higher/quicker in a lighter appliaction....the 5.4 (at least as configured for the F-150) would seem to be at a disadvantage over the 4.6 3V with a longer stroke and lower max RPM threshold - plus extra weight? Can't imagine swapping the two engines out as there are many aftermarket items for the 4.6 3V Mustang engine that are N/A for the 5.4L.......get the 4.6 and add an ATI ProCharger or Vortech SC and you'll have all the power you want.....plus it would probably be an easier swap for your Mustang and you could go ahead and add the 5 sp tranny as well....the '05 mtx tranny is a HUGH improvement over the earlier models in both durablility and shift linkage. While Torque is important - particularly in a truck/towing applicaiton - it's not as critical in a lighter car like the Mustang that is not going to be used to tow anything....IIRC the torque numbers on the stock 4.6L 3V are pretty good anyway...does beg the question though, I had thought the new '07 Shelby GT Cobra with 480 horses (using a roots type SC) was going to be based on a 5.4L 4V.....but can it be our Triton with revised heads....I'd think not - it must have a different bore/stroke ratio than the Triton.....anybody know the answer?

no way... the shelby uses your exact block. heads are c port 4v, but otherwise identical. however look for blown 3v soon. you guys are underestimating what you have. you have the power potential of 4v. but with reprogammable VCT. as far as pcm... ALL fords are 99 prcent the same.

cam TDC sensor. yours is on the passenger head for firing ignition and injectors. i simply had to lengthen the harness to use it and break off all but one tang on the cam gear. the one used for tdc #1.

crank position is identical

i used my 4.6 elbow and TB and idle control. i fabbed a 1" adapter plate and bolted it on. easy stuff. i have done this for a liveing for years. i have done easier ones than this but here we are.

water temps. u used the oulet for heater and added two 't's for them.

i used mt MAF and injectors. adjustable fuel pressure regulator. i don't have the handicap of modualted fuel pump like you guys. i mixed 05 5.4 3v fuel rails and mine wit hnew tubing. all very easy stuff. just expensive and time consuming. it runs 10 mph faster in the same area that my 4.6 290hp ran 100 mph. it tears the tires all the way through first and second if i let it. 245's.

it will spin them to about 75 mph

my 4.6 was 13 second this will be 12 second when i am though with simple tuning and a few mods. this intake kills your stocker in hp. i said 325 to be conservative. and all this withthe motor running so rich right now it looks like a diesel at WOT. (new pressure regulator in today i need to go to 25 psi probably). and switch my aftermarket maf with stock 80mm cobra. i can switch to 24 lb stocker injectors then. so i am losing all kinds of hp right now. if it is true that the valves are ok to 5500 then you guys are in for a treat if you reprogram your VCT and rev limiter. my guess is it is a powertrain saviour thing. this thing will probably wreck my converter at 5500. i am making my own PWM vct controller. it is all in the write-ups on stangnet. i even did a burnout video in there. also your stock intake is good to 5500. i know i drove mine there before i switched them out. -bill

Old 01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Im pretty sure he was talking about the 5.4L in the GT and Mustang GT500.

oh i missed that. sorry

Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 PM
SO what are the cam specs, i heard you have them.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:08 PM
i don't have the stock specs. but i don't really care. i am taking them out as soon as compcams releases their. the lift won't exceed .479 on their grinds. these cams are exactly like 4v. flow is the close to 4v on intake and exhaust. but these ports are better when you consider port velocity and laminar flow. think of the exhaust like a hemi's ,and the intake like 4v. it doesn't take the kind of lift that 2v takes. throw those spces out the window. i will say i have measured mine and they actuall exceed 114 degree seperation that is popular these days. these cams are designed to bleed exhaust back into the intake charge not make power. emission emission emmision. doh. if there is a valve durability issue aftermarket 4.6 3v cams will not really match. it really doesn't matter again as i am pulling these heads this summer for porting and proper high rpm inconel valves and springs. i am going to build it for 6500. these heads flow more than enough to make power way up there. funny they put this in a truck.

it is really a massive HP maker. the few cars i have raced so far are not in the same category. but i am waitng for the odd 05 gt or cobra or LS to test it for sure.

all of you guys have the mill GT guys would give their left nut for. high torque high horsepower terror. in a lighter truck you can easily approach lightning HP to weight ratios. not torque but HP. and exceed it. with a roush charger figure 400hp and 505 lb-ft easy. just like putting a charger on a 4v. the 06 saleen makes 425/400 with only 4lbs of boost. as much as terminator with less boost and VCT. you have a killer here. even lightning doesn't have programmable VCT.imagine that torque from idle to 4500 or more with proper forgings.

cam specs...weak now. but better soon. it still makes as much power at 5500 as it does at 5000. i have revved it there constantly already. i was told tonight that blue flames traveled out of my mufflers when i floored it tonight. rock out.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:40 PM
exx
The blocks the same except for being alluminum I think man, the blocks in our trucks are iron. Sounds sick though man, I never even thought of such a swap man. I like it. Would love to see pics I'll share some pics in about 10 months, gotta go finish this commitment I made to Uncle Sam and the Marine Corp. 6 months of it away from my babies too not gonna be easy but parts have started showin up and the majority of em should have shown up by the time I get back.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:49 AM
the 07 shelby cobra 4v has an iron truck block. the ford GT has aluminum block.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by assasinator
the 07 shelby cobra 4v has an iron truck block. the ford GT has aluminum block.
Where did that info come from?

Old 01-07-2006, 11:23 PM
hot rod magazine and i will get you the issue of mmff in a few.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:29 PM
page 218 paragraph 7, muscle mustangs and fast fords november 2005 issue.

if i say you can count on it.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:33 PM
one other quick spec on these heads. they flow 220 at .5 on intake
______________________________ . thay flow 185 on exhaust at .5 lift.

ported figures 240 cfm at .5 to 260 cfm @ .5 lift
poerted exhaust 200cfm @ .5

ported by fox lake.

boss 330 also ports them.

Quick Reply: 5.4 3v swap into 96 mustang gt