2004 - 2008 F-150

Blinking Red Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blinking Red Light

Just got my 2006 last week and I love it. But what is that blinking red light on top of my dash board that blinks all day and night? I cant find any info on it in my owners manual.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Its a GPS tracking device. Ford thought it would be a good idea to keep track of all their customers and where they go.

No actually, I believe it is just a thief deterent light.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
thats also your sensor for autoheadlights

if you want your autoheadlights to turn on during the day, cover up that blinking light.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's supposed to be a theft deterrent, a visual indicator that the "alarm" is armed. It'll also flash different ways to indicate the status of the PATS system. Built into the theft light is the auto headlight sensor as well.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by saleen97
Its a GPS tracking device. Ford thought it would be a good idea to keep track of all their customers and where they go.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM
It's connected to the "black box".

Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
It'll also flash different ways to indicate the status of the PATS system.
Explain more please....I have never noticed mine blinking but one way.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 PM

On for three seconds then off when you first turn the key on is normal operation. Rapidly flashing usually means missing transceiver signal, steady blinking usually means hard parts fault or missing configuration. It's not something really to worry about, you should never see it flashing rapidly or staying on or something like that.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:44 PM
quintin,

Since we are on the subject, my light comes on occasionally while I am driving. It will turn on randomly for about 3 seconds, then go out. No other lights come on, and the truck still runs perfectly, probably happens to me once a month (I am averaging about 1-2k per month). Since it won't stay on, I haven't taken it into the dealer yet. I know they will just give me the old "Cannot duplicate problem" line. Is there something I should be concerned about?

Oh, and another thing, I have the dealer-installed remote starter system on my truck, and the punk that installed it (dealer hired an outside sound shop to install) put it in with those cheap clamp-style wire connectors that just cut into the insulation of the wire. I wonder if it is one of these wires coming loose??? Remote start system and alarm always work perfectly, tho...

Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 PM

I'm not exactly sure why the stupid light comes on from time to time. Mine does it every now and then too, normally when cranking after sitting for like a weekend or so. I might have a key flaking out or something, I dunno. Sucky part is I'll just have to wait until it breaks and go from there.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by saleen97
I've been wrong all along, I guess. I thought it was a homing signal for the mother ship.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Steamin
.. I thought it was a homing signal for the mother ship.
It *is* a signal. Don't listen to the rest of them.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 AM
You have a blinking red light?

Oh My God!!! Get out while you can!!!!!

(not to hijack the thread, but) I ran a stereo shop at one time, and after doing an installation, we would always walk the customer through the features and functions of their new stereo. Frequently, you could tell cutomers were thinking "yeah, yeah, I'm busy, let me go"...one day, one of those customers, who hadn't been gone for an hour called back and said "I took off the removeable faceplate, and there's a red light blinking-what's that mean?" The installer who had worked with him screamed into the phone: "Don't touch the car-I'll call the fire department-oh my god, and you were so young!!!" even made sob/crying noises as he hung up...I tore him a new one, but it was funny as he**

Old 12-16-2005, 01:28 PM
To bad you didn't have a recording to start a countdown! I laugh everytime I thing about that guy on the phone.

Quick Reply: Blinking Red Light