2004 - 2008 F-150

Another Auto spring photo

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Auto spring photo

Ok guys I know you all have seen this a hundred times but here is another... Just got through putting on the auto spring kit. Was a simple install with the right tools, impact wrench is very handy.. Here is some props to all of you guys who went at it alone , although it was a very simple mod I don't think I could have put the ball joint back together without some extra hands. Only problem I have had after the install was that everyone seems to think I'm bright lighting them. I am gonna show my age a bit on this next comment but I wish they would have never stopped putting the dimmer switch on the floor board. It sure was easy, just step on the switch and (bam) bright lights. Anyway here is the after photo. 40" in rear 39 3/4" front, I still have to balance the front end.. The truck is on a small incline in the photo looks more level on flat ground.

Last edited by jmw00; 11-25-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Looks tight! I Just bought this for my Dad for Christmas for his white Screw identical to yours!

I hear you need a 30mm socket. Any other tools you recommend having around for a DIY'er? My firend is very mechanically inclined and has impact tools so I'm not too worried, but any advice after? I

Old 11-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Yes, A 30mm socket is about the only thing i can think of that may not be in every garage. And maybe a large torque wrench to torque the bottom connection of the coil back to the required 255 ft/lbs. Also the extra hands to put the ball joint back together, but all in all it's a very simple mod. Good luck he is gonna love it..

Old 11-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Sweet truck!!

I am going to install mine tomorrow. I guess you really need someone else to help.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

jmw00,

Is it possible to install the Autospring lifts without having to disconnect the ball joint? Your truck looks great! Thanks.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Looks sweet jmw00!!

Where were your fishing pix taken? I am assuming in the Gulf, but MS or LA waters? What rig # is that in the background?

Old 11-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by kd4crs

Is it possible to install the Autospring lifts without having to disconnect the ball joint? Your truck looks great! Thanks.
No, we did give that a try just to see, but it would not fall down far enough to remove the coil. It possibly could be removed if you tugged and pulled, but once you place the spacer on top of the coil it would be impossible to put it back in.. Don't get me wrong, when I said "I would not have been able to get it back together without help" may make it seem impossible (it's not), it was just a lot easier with two people. Everything was a simple unbolt, place spacer, and bolt back. As long as you have time and are not in a rush I honestly think anyone could do this mod.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Where were your fishing pix taken? I am assuming in the Gulf, but MS or LA waters? What rig # is that in the background?
We were fishing out of LA about 30 miles from Grand Isle, can't remember the exact place... Rig number? I couldn't even begin to guess, especially that one, I was so tired by the time we got to that rig (amber jack number 4 or 5 within about 45 mins.) I probably could not have told you my SS#, and from looking at your gallery you should know exactly what i am talking about. I can tell you, that is some fun shiznet!!!

Old 11-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya know, I've looked at a bajillion of these Autospring posts and I can't recall seeing a single 'before and after' photograph. Can someone post some?

RP

Old 11-26-2004, 05:03 PM
jmw00,

Looks great!

Maybe I am confusing Autospring and Daystar. What height did you use? 2"? 2 1/2"? Does Autospring have the different height options?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice!

Old 11-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Here ya go RP

Before:

After:

The pictures are not identical but you can still tell, its not a drastic change but it does level out the front... DAT, I used the 2" kit 1 5/8" spacer. Prior to autospring the rear was approx. 3" inches higher than the front, post autospring the rear is now about 1/4" higher than the front. Unlike most people my height did not change in the front after alignment.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see the difference for sure...

Which brings me to my next question.... is this simply a 'visual' mod or does it actually bring performance to the table? The fact that the rear is higher than the front has really never bothered me...

Old 11-26-2004, 09:01 PM
For me this is strictly a visual mod because I like the level look, like you said it's a matter of preference... The reason I say this is that I want to put eagle 178's and 33's on the truck (can't fit without the kit), even though they will be mud tires I can promise you it will never see the mud, so that throws the performance mod out the window for me. But other's may level for the big tires to go in the mud, thus being a performance mod for them. I am somewhat concerned about hauling, if you look in the gallery the main photo is pulling a boat before the kit and it sits like it's supposed to. I am curious to see if the tongue weight now will put it too nose high and stretch out the front suspension (bottom out on speed bumps etc.). I should know in about a week or so, if I have problems I'll keep you all informed, the kit may have to come back off. Hmmm let's see, level look or fishing, ummm bye bye autospring

Old 11-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by jmw00
I am somewhat concerned about hauling, if you look in the gallery the main photo is pulling a boat before the kit and it sits like it's supposed to. I am curious to see if the tongue weight now will put it too nose high
I have the same concerns.....You can always add an adjustable air bag in the rear suspension to bring it up after the load pulls it down. The list of add ons just keep on growing for me! Your truck looks awesome. I will be ordering the autospring kit for myself for Christmas

Quick Reply: Another Auto spring photo