2004 - 2008 F-150

Humming/buzzing noise.....

Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming/buzzing noise.....

I'm sure this has been posted before but I can't locate it. My '04 F150 4X4 (5.4) has an intermittent buzzing or humming noise coming from either under the hood or in the transmission area. You hear it with transmission in "drive" and foot on the brake. Once you shift to "park", it completely goes away. It was really noisy early this morning (39 degrees outside). It may just be a coincidence but, living in the deep south, this was the lowest morning temperature in several months.

No problems with performance that I can tell. Runs good, gas mileage hasn't changed (still bad!)

With the mileage I'm driving, I'll be out of warranty in about 3 weeks.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2005, 05:05 PM
I have the same problem but it inly occurs some of the time.
I am taking my truck in to the dealer on Thursday for that, as well some other small issues.
I will keep you posted.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck does the same thing. I think it has something to do with brakes, the electronic brake force distribution maybe?

Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 PM
I had a problem that sounds exactly as you described it. It turned out to be the rubber flange on the air intake tube where it goes into the fender. On mine, the rubber flange wasn't seated correctly (it was upside-down), and it was causing the intake tube to vibrate/rattle against the fender. It was under the same conditions as you stated: only when in P with foot on brake pedal.

At first, I thought "no way, it doesn't sound like a tube rattling." Even after I uninstalled & reinstalled it, I still didn't think it'd make a difference. But it did... The test I did was completely remove the intake tube from the fender to the filter, then drove it around the block... No more noise. So I thoroughly looked over the intake tube, noticed that the gasket was upside down, then fixed & reinstalled... An no more noise

Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Interesting, I took my truck in this morning for my 15k service and a minor issue or two and I was going to bring this up to them, but it wouldn't do it this morning (go figure) so I didn't tell them about it. I'll take a look at what was suggested when I get the truck back and see if maybe that's my problem too...thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the same thing I discussed here back in May.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by bamorris2
I had a problem that sounds exactly as you described it. It turned out to be the rubber flange on the air intake tube where it goes into the fender. On mine, the rubber flange wasn't seated correctly (it was upside-down), and it was causing the intake tube to vibrate/rattle against the fender. It was under the same conditions as you stated: only when in P with foot on brake pedal.

At first, I thought "no way, it doesn't sound like a tube rattling." Even after I uninstalled & reinstalled it, I still didn't think it'd make a difference. But it did... The test I did was completely remove the intake tube from the fender to the filter, then drove it around the block... No more noise. So I thoroughly looked over the intake tube, noticed that the gasket was upside down, then fixed & reinstalled... An no more noise
We don't need no stinkin' tube. I don't have a tube anymore, I have the DWV intake. I checked it and it isn't rattling or buzzing.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Noise.....

Guigster - you are right, that is where I had previously read about this. In re-reading it, I don't see that a solution was come up with. Do you still have the noise.

Bamorris2 - I'll check what you suggested. But my first thought was what you indicated in that it just doesn't seem to me a rattle.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Oh, mine is at the front of the truck in the engine compartment. Sometimes I can hear it, sometimes I can't...but it sounds just like the buzzer when the door is open. It's screwy and of course, it didn't do it this morning for the service advisor...hehe.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by rcknrbn
Guigster - you are right, that is where I had previously read about this. In re-reading it, I don't see that a solution was come up with. Do you still have the noise.
I haven't heard the noise in a while. Though, I haven't been listening for it. I also never had it looked at. I'm going on a short ride tonight and I'll listen for it. It is so intermittent.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you checked to see if the neighbor's cat is still roaming around the neighborhood? Just checking...

Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Believe it or not, that happened once when I worked at a grocery store. A cat got inside someone's engine and was trapped in the opening where the fan is. Sliced a little hair off its head.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Guigster
Believe it or not, that happened once when I worked at a grocery store. A cat got inside someone's engine and was trapped in the opening where the fan is. Sliced a little hair off its head.
Off topic:

Cats like warm places to stay. Like warm in an engine bay. Things get kinda hectic when they decide to stay overnight and someone starts the engine the following morning to go to work. Years ago, I tried telling my employer scraping cat guts out of a fan shroud wasn't in my job description...

Old 10-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Sort of like when I worked at the grocery store and the liquor store that was associated with us had Clydesdale horses in the parking lot and the owner told me to go clean up the massive ***** they left. Fortunately a few cars ran over it and mushed it down. For the record, I did not pick it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Humming/buzzing noise.....