Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Humming/buzzing noise.....

I'm sure this has been posted before but I can't locate it. My '04 F150 4X4 (5.4) has an intermittent buzzing or humming noise coming from either under the hood or in the transmission area. You hear it with transmission in "drive" and foot on the brake. Once you shift to "park", it completely goes away. It was really noisy early this morning (39 degrees outside). It may just be a coincidence but, living in the deep south, this was the lowest morning temperature in several months.

No problems with performance that I can tell. Runs good, gas mileage hasn't changed (still bad!)

With the mileage I'm driving, I'll be out of warranty in about 3 weeks.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
I have the same problem but it inly occurs some of the time.
I am taking my truck in to the dealer on Thursday for that, as well some other small issues.
I will keep you posted.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/....cfm?gnum=5282
Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2006 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150 4x4
My truck does the same thing. I think it has something to do with brakes, the electronic brake force distribution maybe?
Ford bed extender
DWV intake mod 2.0
Magnaflow 16612 SISO
07 Ford trailer tow mirrors
Roush Chrome Edition Grill
DualLiner Bed Liner
AEM DryFlow panel filter
Hella LED tails and 3rd
Champion 7989 plugs
PHP Gryphon tuned
Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
I had a problem that sounds exactly as you described it. It turned out to be the rubber flange on the air intake tube where it goes into the fender. On mine, the rubber flange wasn't seated correctly (it was upside-down), and it was causing the intake tube to vibrate/rattle against the fender. It was under the same conditions as you stated: only when in P with foot on brake pedal.

At first, I thought "no way, it doesn't sound like a tube rattling." Even after I uninstalled & reinstalled it, I still didn't think it'd make a difference. But it did... The test I did was completely remove the intake tube from the fender to the filter, then drove it around the block... No more noise. So I thoroughly looked over the intake tube, noticed that the gasket was upside down, then fixed & reinstalled... An no more noise

2007 Adirondack 31bh-dsl Travel Trailer, Equal-i-zer, Prodigy

See My Truck
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
Interesting, I took my truck in this morning for my 15k service and a minor issue or two and I was going to bring this up to them, but it wouldn't do it this morning (go figure) so I didn't tell them about it. I'll take a look at what was suggested when I get the truck back and see if maybe that's my problem too...thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Sounds like the same thing I discussed here back in May.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM
2006 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamorris2
I had a problem that sounds exactly as you described it. It turned out to be the rubber flange on the air intake tube where it goes into the fender. On mine, the rubber flange wasn't seated correctly (it was upside-down), and it was causing the intake tube to vibrate/rattle against the fender. It was under the same conditions as you stated: only when in P with foot on brake pedal.

At first, I thought "no way, it doesn't sound like a tube rattling." Even after I uninstalled & reinstalled it, I still didn't think it'd make a difference. But it did... The test I did was completely remove the intake tube from the fender to the filter, then drove it around the block... No more noise. So I thoroughly looked over the intake tube, noticed that the gasket was upside down, then fixed & reinstalled... An no more noise
We don't need no stinkin' tube. I don't have a tube anymore, I have the DWV intake. I checked it and it isn't rattling or buzzing.
Ford bed extender
DWV intake mod 2.0
Magnaflow 16612 SISO
07 Ford trailer tow mirrors
Roush Chrome Edition Grill
DualLiner Bed Liner
AEM DryFlow panel filter
Hella LED tails and 3rd
Champion 7989 plugs
PHP Gryphon tuned
Old 10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Noise.....

Guigster - you are right, that is where I had previously read about this. In re-reading it, I don't see that a solution was come up with. Do you still have the noise.

Bamorris2 - I'll check what you suggested. But my first thought was what you indicated in that it just doesn't seem to me a rattle.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F250
Oh, mine is at the front of the truck in the engine compartment. Sometimes I can hear it, sometimes I can't...but it sounds just like the buzzer when the door is open. It's screwy and of course, it didn't do it this morning for the service advisor...hehe.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcknrbn
Guigster - you are right, that is where I had previously read about this. In re-reading it, I don't see that a solution was come up with. Do you still have the noise.
I haven't heard the noise in a while. Though, I haven't been listening for it. I also never had it looked at. I'm going on a short ride tonight and I'll listen for it. It is so intermittent.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:24 PM
F150online
Administrator
2005 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2012 F-150 King Ranch
Have you checked to see if the neighbor's cat is still roaming around the neighborhood? Just checking...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Believe it or not, that happened once when I worked at a grocery store. A cat got inside someone's engine and was trapped in the opening where the fan is. Sliced a little hair off its head.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Quintin Send a message via Yahoo to Quintin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guigster
Believe it or not, that happened once when I worked at a grocery store. A cat got inside someone's engine and was trapped in the opening where the fan is. Sliced a little hair off its head.
Off topic:

Cats like warm places to stay. Like warm in an engine bay. Things get kinda hectic when they decide to stay overnight and someone starts the engine the following morning to go to work. Years ago, I tried telling my employer scraping cat guts out of a fan shroud wasn't in my job description...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Sort of like when I worked at the grocery store and the liquor store that was associated with us had Clydesdale horses in the parking lot and the owner told me to go clean up the massive ***** they left. Fortunately a few cars ran over it and mushed it down. For the record, I did not pick it up.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:32 PM