Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F250
Grinding/Clunk Intermittent Noise

I'm having a problem with my 4WD (I'm guessing, brakes and everything else works fine), about 4 times now I'll be driving down the road and will hear a loud grinding noise and clunk that sounds like the 4WD isn't all the way engaged (running in 2wd), which goes away after I stop. I took it to the dealer and they found a small vacuum leak on the 4WD system, but it happened again tonight after getting it back yesterday. Any ideas on what this might be, or others that have had a similar problem? It's going back to the dealer, just curious if others have had the same experience, mines an 04 SCREW 4WD with just under 15K miles. Thanks....
Old 08-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
I just got mine back and had the same problem as you are describing. Mine has 25k miles and has had the same problem a little over a month. Dealership put a new vacuum unit in and tested it...works fine now. Tried 4x4 last night and everything engaged and so far so good. Now....I need to get those brakes done.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Camlocker,

Thanks for the response, you wouldn't happen to know the part number of the part they replaced to fix your problem by chance?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I am having similar problems with my 2004 SCREW F-150. There is an intermittent loud grinding noise that goes away when stopped or engaging the 4WD. Has anyone had this problem fixed? Can I get details if they have? Thanks-
Old 08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Bump...I'm on my second trip with the truck to the dealer for this, they can't find the problem yet, any others with the same problem that could share specifics on what was done to fix it?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 ford f150 fx4
I recently bought a 04 fx4 last year and jsut recently started with the same kinda of noise that you describe. Has anyone gotten an answer about the problem. I have already done the replace the calipers and rotors and it didn't work.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT
I had the same problem, they replaced both hubs and now everything is fine!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Mine has the same problem

I searched for this before but the problem dissappeared over the winter but has recently returned. If I remember correctly I beliece they said it was due to vacuum loss at the IWE solenoid.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 AM