Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
Posts: 48
Rattling/Backfire from Exhaust?

Wassup Ya'll,

Ever since I bought my FX4 Scab, I have noticed that when I rev the engine after starting, at around 3500 -4 4000 rpm's or so the truck makes this horrible rattling noise I am not sure but I think it is in the muffler/exhaust, I took it to get looked at the dealership and the service advisor told me there where no problems, low and behold when I get home I do my own test and it happened again.

I will probably take it back and get the same answer. Any suggestions or reccomendations on what the diagnosis is? That way I have something to argue, for all I know they probably didn't even look at it. The sound is more annoying than anything, it only happens after I start the engine, I never hear it during driving. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DJ ANIMALE
__________________
2005 F-150 FX4 Supercab Black
5.4 Triton 3V V8
Leer HP Boxtop Tonneau Cover 700 Series
Duraliner Ford Bedliner
Chrome Exhaust Tip
Billet Grille
Hood Scoop
Diamond Plate FX4 Decals
5.4L Triton V8 Hood Decals
Carbon Fiber Emblems for Grille & Tailgate
Ventshades
MAC Cold Air Induction Intake
Thrush Magnum Glasspack Muffler
Future Mods:
Nerf Bars
Carbon Fiber Headlights/Taillights

My Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Posts: 1,548
Send a message via AIM to Matt 05'FX4 Send a message via MSN to Matt 05'FX4
First of all, why do you rev the engine to 3-4K after starting? And if anyone on this board goes out to their truck cold and cranks it up and revs it to 3-4K, it will backfire and pop in the exhaust like a son of a b!tch. I don't know if you are talking about the same thing, but this "popping" or "backfiring", also kind of like a gurgling from the exhaust if you rev it after a cold start is due to the fact that the mixture is very rich and some of the unburnt fuel is igniting in the exhaust system, probably in the hot catalyst and exhaust manifold. If it isn't a backfire but only a rattle you hear, then I don't know what that is.
__________________
-MYSPACE
-Roush Intercooled Supercharger
-Magnaflow 16612 SISO
-Dual 14" E-fans w/MadEnterprize controller
-Kenwood DDX-8017, KHDC-710 10GB MP3 Keg, R cam, KNA-DV4100 Nav, TV tuner, PS2
-True Blue Lincoln LT handles, lower HD valence, and fender flares
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Granite Shoals, TX
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Posts: 369
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanimale
Wassup Ya'll,

Ever since I bought my FX4 Scab, I have noticed that when I rev the engine after starting, at around 3500 -4 4000 rpm's or so the truck makes this horrible rattling noise I am not sure but I think it is in the muffler/exhaust, I took it to get looked at the dealership and the service advisor told me there where no problems, low and behold when I get home I do my own test and it happened again.

I will probably take it back and get the same answer. Any suggestions or reccomendations on what the diagnosis is? That way I have something to argue, for all I know they probably didn't even look at it. The sound is more annoying than anything, it only happens after I start the engine, I never hear it during driving. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DJ ANIMALE

I hope your not revving your engine that high after just starting it especially cold. The fluids aren't even warm and the engine hasn't had enough time to properly distribute the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 FX4
Posts: 432
Attention!! J-150 Come in J-150

Ok J-150, I have to admit that after what I said to you in RedRum05's post, I feel I might have been in error. Ok, I'm wrong. I'M WRONG J-150. I now understand. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. Will you forgive me?

Last edited by 1969Mach; 06-22-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Everett, Wash
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Posts: 662
Had a dynomax muffler that one of the inside baffle plates had broken loose, it would rattle at idle and when I revved her up. Check your muffler!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Central California
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 2,457
Send a message via AIM to asinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F150SC
I hope your not revving your engine that high after just starting it especially cold. The fluids aren't even warm and the engine hasn't had enough time to properly distribute the oil.
everytime i start my truck i let it warm up to a cool 196F, and then i drive off, but wait new cars dont really like to idle to warm up, so what he is doing is fine, theres is no load against the tranny, no harm no foul. but if he was reving that high in gear i wouldnt advise
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Granite Shoals, TX
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Posts: 369
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinatra
everytime i start my truck i let it warm up to a cool 196F, and then i drive off, but wait new cars dont really like to idle to warm up, so what he is doing is fine, theres is no load against the tranny, no harm no foul. but if he was reving that high in gear i wouldnt advise
I meant if he is revving his engine out of gear cold. Even in gear without it being warmed up enough to have the oil fully distributed is foolish. I saw a person I know test drive a new Mustang GT and floored it right out of the parking lot. It hadn't been running more then a minute. When he brought it back he tossed the keys to the salesman and got in his own vehicle and left. I wouldn't buy that mustang for half price now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 FX4
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F150SC
I meant if he is revving his engine out of gear cold. Even in gear without it being warmed up enough to have the oil fully distributed is foolish. I saw a person I know test drive a new Mustang GT and floored it right out of the parking lot. It hadn't been running more then a minute. When he brought it back he tossed the keys to the salesman and got in his own vehicle and left. I wouldn't buy that mustang for half price now.
Always makes me wonder if that's why some of these new trucks have problems so early sometimes. I honestly went and test drove a used 05 Mustang just for that reason. I don't think it's right to tear up a new vehicle. Also, are there ignorant ******** working at some lots that test the rpm limiter as soon as they turn the key? This is one of my paranoid reasons that I do all my own work on the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sunny FL
Vehicle: 2004 Lariat Screw F150
Posts: 5,409
Why are you revving the engine at all during startup; no need to the PCM sets the correct rpm for whatever climate your in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Posts: 358
Pretty much any new vehicle Ive been in where you rev the engine on a cold startup will pop, for a good example of the sound Im referring to go to magnaflows webpage and listen to the 05 GT they have on there, see if it sounds similar to your problem.
__________________
My Gallery Current Mods: Line-X, 325/65/18 BFG All Terrain's mounted on MB Predator 18x8.5s, Edge Programmer, Pacesetter Coated Longtube Headers, cats, Magnaflow Muffler with X-Pipe, 15% tint, Autospring Leveling kit, Black Powdercoat Westin Bull Bar with 100 watt KC Daylighter Floods, Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover, 249 RWHP, 299 RWTQ
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
Posts: 48
Thanks

Thanks for all your posts, I will see what happens after leaving it on for a few minutes. I have some automotive knowledge but am by no means a mechanic. As far as some of the more smart comments, I appreciate your insight but there is no need to try to make someone sound like a complete idiot.

I have read the way some people on here roast other members when they have an off the wall idea or a question that may sound silly or amatuer, I know this is a public forum where we are entitled to our own opinions, but we can be mature and mindful of others.

Thanks,

DJ ANIMALE
__________________
2005 F-150 FX4 Supercab Black
5.4 Triton 3V V8
Leer HP Boxtop Tonneau Cover 700 Series
Duraliner Ford Bedliner
Chrome Exhaust Tip
Billet Grille
Hood Scoop
Diamond Plate FX4 Decals
5.4L Triton V8 Hood Decals
Carbon Fiber Emblems for Grille & Tailgate
Ventshades
MAC Cold Air Induction Intake
Thrush Magnum Glasspack Muffler
Future Mods:
Nerf Bars
Carbon Fiber Headlights/Taillights

My Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Granite Shoals, TX
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Posts: 369
DJ ANIMALE

First are you revving your engine cold? Second if so why? You can start your truck and drive away cold but to rev it without the engine being under load puts undue stresses on it.
Third if anyone here or anywhere told you that its ok to rev up a cold engine then get away from them because they are complete and total idiots. Nobody in their right mind would dare rev up a completely cold engine and expect it to last more then a few hundred miles
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F150SC
DJ ANIMALE

First are you revving your engine cold? Second if so why? You can start your truck and drive away cold but to rev it without the engine being under load puts undue stresses on it.
Third if anyone here or anywhere told you that its ok to rev up a cold engine then get away from them because they are complete and total idiots. Nobody in their right mind would dare rev up a completely cold engine and expect it to last more then a few hundred miles
2005F150SC,

Thanks for your help, its appreciated.
__________________
2005 F-150 FX4 Supercab Black
5.4 Triton 3V V8
Leer HP Boxtop Tonneau Cover 700 Series
Duraliner Ford Bedliner
Chrome Exhaust Tip
Billet Grille
Hood Scoop
Diamond Plate FX4 Decals
5.4L Triton V8 Hood Decals
Carbon Fiber Emblems for Grille & Tailgate
Ventshades
MAC Cold Air Induction Intake
Thrush Magnum Glasspack Muffler
Future Mods:
Nerf Bars
Carbon Fiber Headlights/Taillights

My Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sunny FL
Vehicle: 2004 Lariat Screw F150
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanimale
(Snip
I have read the way some people on here roast other members when they have an off the wall idea or a question that may sound silly or amatuer, I know this is a public forum where we are entitled to our own opinions, but we can be mature and mindful of others.
Whatís this about? Everyone who posted gave their opinion on the question you put forth. If you donít want opinions donít ask
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
Posts: 48
I appreciate everyone's opinions and suggestions about what the problem is, that 's why I asked for them. But the thing that I was a little upset with was some of the smart comments that were posted. I guess I shouldn't have said anything about it, it's not that serious of an issue. I do appreciate everyone's help though.

Thanks,

DJ ANIMALE
__________________
2005 F-150 FX4 Supercab Black
5.4 Triton 3V V8
Leer HP Boxtop Tonneau Cover 700 Series
Duraliner Ford Bedliner
Chrome Exhaust Tip
Billet Grille
Hood Scoop
Diamond Plate FX4 Decals
5.4L Triton V8 Hood Decals
Carbon Fiber Emblems for Grille & Tailgate
Ventshades
MAC Cold Air Induction Intake
Thrush Magnum Glasspack Muffler
Future Mods:
Nerf Bars
Carbon Fiber Headlights/Taillights

My Gallery
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 AM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordģ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details