2004 - 2008 F-150

Squeaky Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky Rear End

I have a squeaky rear end. Every time my suspension travels or articulates it creaks. Im assuming that it is from dirt in my leaf springs? or could it be my shocks? How should I go about fixing it? If it is from dirt in my leaf springs, Im thinking of jacking the truck up on the leaf spring buckets, taking my wheels off, and giving the leaf springs a good cleaning with the pressure washer. Any suggestions? I know this isn't a lot of information to go off of but can anyone help? Im getting real tired of having to turn the radio up real loud.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I have a squeaky rear end. :

Glad to see other people have the same problem. My wife hates it, especially when its stinky

Old 06-21-2005, 05:46 AM
I have a squeaky rear end.
Try more fiber. And definately stay away from the beans

Old 06-21-2005, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a squeaky rear end. Every time my suspension travels or articulates it creaks. Im assuming that it is from dirt in my leaf springs? or could it be my shocks? How should I go about fixing it? If it is from dirt in my leaf springs, Im thinking of jacking the truck up on the leaf spring buckets, taking my wheels off, and giving the leaf springs a good cleaning with the pressure washer. Any suggestions? I know this isn't a lot of information to go off of but can anyone help? Im getting real tired of having to turn the radio up real loud.
If you really serious and not fooling, look at the rear shackle bolts. Crap gets in there between the shackle bushings and the leafs and causes a creaking noise.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pry the tips of the rear leafs on the springs apart with a wooden wedge and smear a little high temp silicone grease in between the individual leafs.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
There is a tsb out there for this. When they replaced my front rotors, they also lubed up my leaf spring packs. They put grease where the teflon pads met the springs and also where the U shaped pack hangers hold the springs together. They also put some grease on the front coil down where it meets the shock base plate. The grease lasts about 6 months then it starts squeaking again.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Suspended
I guess I'll just take it to the dealer than. Our Expedition saw Warranty work from there and they didn't do a good job at all. Im still kind of leery of taking it to them but whatever if they mess something up they'll have to fix it.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:41 PM
How about the rubber bushings in the rear shackles? They could've gottten a little crap in them causing the squeeking as well.

Just a thought,

Scott

Old 06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok, I've dealt with this issue from day one of picking up my truck. It's been "repaired" 3 different times, kept coming back slightly different. Oddly enough, I finally solved it the other day (so it seems) by myself. So I'll iterate through what they did and what I did. Each time they fixed it, when I picked it up, it was fine for 300-500 miles, then started squeeking again.

- Dealer Try #1 : Replaced "ear mounting tabs" for the tailgate.
- Dealer Try #2 : Found SSM 17777, greased rear leaf springs.
- Dealer Try #3 : Ordered new tailgate latch kit (supposed to install tomorrow)

- My Try #1 : Installed Bilstein shocks as part of my leveling kit, rear squeek is gone.

There was nothing that looked odd or "caked" up that could cause the squeek so maybe it was the shock eyelets, or something. Final result, replacing the rear shocks fixed mine, and mine had been an ongoing issue for a few months. Hope it continues NOT to squeek.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
has the noise come back yet?

Old 07-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, sorry I looked for this thread, but didn't find it earlier. The day before taking my truck back in for more service, the squeek came back. It was different though. At that time, my service advisor told me they'd look into it again. Turns out they replaced part of the tailgate assembly (probably the latch assembly) and it hasn't come back since then. I'll see if I can find anymore info out from my service record -- this last fix was quite a while ago and not a hint of a squeek.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I too have the rear end squeak and have not been able to pinpoint the source. Thanks to all for the info on this subject. I'll try your suggestions.

mxtruck

Old 07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by DevilSun
Yes, sorry I looked for this thread, but didn't find it earlier. The day before taking my truck back in for more service, the squeek came back. It was different though. At that time, my service advisor told me they'd look into it again. Turns out they replaced part of the tailgate assembly (probably the latch assembly) and it hasn't come back since then. I'll see if I can find anymore info out from my service record -- this last fix was quite a while ago and not a hint of a squeek.
Thanks DevilSun. I found the source of my squeak. I drove with the tailgate up and heard the squeak then drove the same section of road with the tailgate down and no squeak.

Did the dealer write down what part of the tailgate assembly they replaced?

mxtruck

Old 07-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hadn't thought of the tail gate squeaking. Mine does the same thing, chirps and squeaks like hell when the tail gate is up, with it down, nothing. Just haven't got around to fixing it yet.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:17 PM
My tailgate on my old 2000 Scab squeaked and my 2004 Screw does the same thing. I just spray a couple of squirts of some all purpose lubricant on the the latch assembly inside the tailgate and it stops squeaking for about 4 to 6 months and then it squeaks again. I spray on some more lubricant and it stops for another 4 to 6 months. Granted it's only a temporary fix but it's the best fix I've found.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Rear End