2004 - 2008 F-150

Parking Brake Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be there in August if you care to drop by, let me know.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks again! I used to air tires down to 25 psi on my old truck(s) as well. Don't know when I'll get down there. Have to get Wife, 18y.o. son, 20y.o. daughter together, so it will probably be a spur of the moment thing

We'll probably be going to Oregon Inlet first.

Scott

Old 06-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I've had my truck for almost 15 months/23,000+ miles and I have never even used the parking brake.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:20 PM
when in august?? i may be able to shoot down. thing is when i moved inland i traded my 4x4 ranger for this 2wd F1, so i may have to bring another vehicle to drive on the sand. oh well. lets keep in touch about it

Old 07-13-2005, 09:58 AM
One of the most helpful topic/ listings I've found yet. Too bad it wasn't a week ago because I never knew about the rear drum brake and why on another listing I was asked if I used an emergency brake. This was what I wrote to start a new topic a day or two ago - VERY much realted to this one! Obviously the dealer isn't aware of emergency brake rusting issues!!

So I'm out doing some errands nearby and the truck starts to shake as if I have a flat tire. I pull over and get out only to smell a smell I've never experienced before. Couldn't find a flat nor any rodent burning on the exhaust so I went home slowly. Got home and pinpointed the smell to the back wheel which I touched and almost burnt my fingers!

Took it to local dealership and they, "freed the locked shoe." Shoe? On a 4 wheel disc vehicle?? Two days later - the problem is baaaaack. Now it's back in the shop and they are replacing the front rotors because somehow that's connected to the problem in the back. Hmmm, interesting! All I know is the truck has 8400 miles on it and I bet down the road I'll have premature rear brake wear because of this and naturally the warranty will be expired.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:04 AM
My truck went to the shop yesterday for my e-brake hanging up as described. When I get it back I am going to do the repair listed here anyway so I know it is done right. Another thing, is my right rear caliper also froze up at the same time as the parking brake! Go freakin' figure! Yesterday was not my day! Should be done today I hope!

Old 08-06-2005, 03:03 PM
It's happened to me TWICE AGAIN! This time driving out of state on the highway (after making a rest stop) I am willing to bet that well after the warranty expires I'll be stuck holding the bill for premature worn rear pads or rotor because of this. How can there not be a TBS for this?

Old 08-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Back to the lame service dept. again for this hanging brake. This time it happened twice on the interstate!

This time they didn't even remove the back wheels after begging they replace or at least grease the parking brake assembly AND I PRINTED THIS FORUM OUT FOR THEM IN COLOR TO SEE HOW TO FIX IT. The monkeys decided to "adjust" the parking brake so the pedal now goes to the floor with practically no resistance. Wonder how well that works. First they "free the hung pad", next time they replace the front rotors, third time they balance the wheels. I even said the wheel gets hot and has a bad burning smell yet they do those repairs. Talk about lame!

Old 08-28-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by TysonsLariat
They can cause a TREMENDOUS amount of vibration, enough to make you pull over and stop. A partially engaged drum brake will do that. I am reluctant to post this on the internet, but I got caught in hurricane Alex down in Hatteras, and I suspect that this might have had something to do with it. I also drive out on the beach quite a lot when I'm down there. I should add that the truck has been running great since I fixed the parking brake, I really like the beast! Averaging about 15mpg, it's a great ride.

Really cool video of alex from a friend's house where I was at, I would not try this with dialup, its 40 meg: Hurricane Alex
That's an amazing video! My parents live just north of New Orleans in Mandeville, LA. They were evacuated today, and I hope that their house is still standing when they return on Wednesday. Next month they are selling the house in Mandeville and moving to Milton, FL, near Pensacola. The area arounf Escambia Bay where they are moving to got hit hard last fall and things still look a little messy there.

Last edited by freekyFX4; 02-11-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Angry

My truck is diseased with this problem. Been in to the local boneheads at Ford FOUR times and they can't fix it either. I even brought them a printout of this forum!

Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 PM
THANK YOU TysonsLariat!!!!

I just did this job and couldn't figure out why my cables were slipping off the new shoes. Both my expander cams were seized. They were so solid and both looked the same it looked like they were riveted and werent supposed to move! Took em out and greased them like you said and now they work like new! Thanks. You saved my *** with this post!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

2 questions does my pedal comes up can it still be stuck? i also put the brakes on and the springs compressed on both sides and released is this still a possible problem?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:29 PM
The first question is a definite YES! My pedal operated normal but yet the brake was still on. Haven't used the parking brake in about a year. Not sure about question two.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by GB150
I've had my truck for almost 15 months/23,000+ miles and I have never even used the parking brake.
same here.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04 Tan Scab
The first question is a definite YES! My pedal operated normal but yet the brake was still on. Haven't used the parking brake in about a year. Not sure about question two.
big thanks the wrecker just picked up my truck that was the problem.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Repair