2004 - 2008 F-150

Power Folding Mirror Install on F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have an idea to get the factory switch to work. If I ever get it all together and infact get it to work I'll post here or a new thread. Also for those of you with puddle lights there is a tap in the lh A pillar from what i see.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey ASCII,

Could you document that when you do your install? Maybe just how you hooked everything up with some pictures? That would be incredibly awesome if you could! Then we can refine bsm's stuff and have one that works with factory switch and puddle lamps! Good work....let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with it.

Duke

Old 05-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Here are some plans I made. I think it will work however until I try it I won't know for sure.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:56 PM
When are you doing your install? Could you take pics of where you did that wiring (ie. where you tapped into the interior lights etc.).

Thanks,

Duke

Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Could you take pics of where you did that wiring (ie. where you tapped into the interior lights etc.).

Thanks,

Duke
Ditto!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 PM
BMS
subscribing. valet at work has broken mirror on mine twice already. they pay for it but this sure would help.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:49 PM
any updates

does any one know what color wire the interior lights are?

Last edited by str8ace; 06-06-2005 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:57 AM
fishing wire through

I am in the process of installing my PFM and am having a terrible time fishing the wires through the door to the cab kick panel. Anyone who has done this - is the opening straight through or to the top or bottom? I also tried going from inside the cab and out but not having any luck either. Seems like it doesn't want to go through the inner opening. Any suggestions to get these darn wires through would be appreciated.

thanks-

Old 06-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by str8ace
I am in the process of installing my PFM and am having a terrible time fishing the wires through the door to the cab kick panel. Anyone who has done this - is the opening straight through or to the top or bottom? I also tried going from inside the cab and out but not having any luck either. Seems like it doesn't want to go through the inner opening. Any suggestions to get these darn wires through would be appreciated.

thanks-
There are two different boots systems used. One is a simple rubber boot, and it is easy to put anything you want through, and the other is a white honeycomb plastic thingy. Which do you have?
Chris

Old 06-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
There are two different boots systems used. One is a simple rubber boot, and it is easy to put anything you want through, and the other is a white honeycomb plastic thingy. Which do you have?
Chris
Chris - I have the rubber boot... I pull it out of the door and can get a metal hanger through there but then it stops and wont go any further. I also tried lubricating the hanger as well as trying a fish tape but no luck. seems like the open is not a straight shot in. I have an 04 SCab XLT if that helps.

thanks -

Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
You are having problems then getting into the area around the e-brake? or the area around the fuse panel?
What 'inside the door' equipment is in there now? I am sure the speakers are there, probably door and window wiring. Any of that you can take loose inside the door and tape the new wire (or a leader like fishline) to then pull it inside?
I am sure you must have taken off the cover for the e-brake and the other trim pieces at the door jamb. Be very careful with the trim piece that the fuse door goes into, as it has a long male part that likes to break.
Chris

Old 06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
You are having problems then getting into the area around the e-brake? or the area around the fuse panel?
What 'inside the door' equipment is in there now? I am sure the speakers are there, probably door and window wiring. Any of that you can take loose inside the door and tape the new wire (or a leader like fishline) to then pull it inside?
I am sure you must have taken off the cover for the e-brake and the other trim pieces at the door jamb. Be very careful with the trim piece that the fuse door goes into, as it has a long male part that likes to break.
Chris
not sure how best to describe it but on bsm pic...i get it through the rubber boot thing and hit the first wall and never gets through... not sure how all the other cables go through there. doesn't seem like a very large opening and also seems like some cables go up while some go down. wish i had a pic but best i can do is with these symbols... ===| \ .... simple illustration... the === represents the rubber tube | represents outter wall and \ represents the kick panel side. I get through the === but not the |... if i try from the inside, i get throug \ but not | and can feel the metal hanger in between the body panels. As to using an existing cable to fish, I looked at that but everything is bundle and terminated at a connector so I dont want to remove any pins. I did remove the cover of the e-brake and my door panels are also removed. I was concerned about breaking that e-brake panel but did manage to get that out in one piece.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, since you don't have the stupid white block, I am not sure of the problem. On my door there is a second 'hull' inside, there is one on most any truck or car. I pushed the rather thick amount of wires I added through from the inside out, the usual way of doing it. Trying to come from the door jamb in is much harder. There are a couple of wire path holes leading out. I had to pull up the door sill piece, that's the one that covers the wires that run down the channel beside the seat. That piece just pops up and is put somewhere safe. Then with a strong light, you should be able to see one of the several quarter sized holes that go through the 'inner hull' . Some of the wires will run through them, into the hull. Try to put your 'fish line' through there. A piece of ten or twelve gauge wire works better than most things, and you can tape a smaller line to it, to use to pull your wires into the cabin.
Good luck
Chris

Old 06-06-2005, 04:41 PM
What I did was use a white metal clothes hanger. Like the ones you get at the cleaners. I left about 3-4 inches of hanger infront of where I taped the wires to.

I started by detaching the black rubber boot thing from the inside of the door. Once you have that done, you can smush the boot towards the cab so you don't have all the boot to fish through. You should be able to see the hanger now from inside the cab pretty easily now. I then used a pair of pliers to grab the end of the hanger.

I should have taken pics of the install...

Old 06-06-2005, 04:57 PM
chris/dallasdave - I just looked at the pic in the tutorial and while i have the rubber boot...i also have what looks to be a white lock (block) on the cab side. I tried moving the lever down on this thinking it lockes the wire in place or something but still no luck.

Chris - is that thing thats kinda like a lever what you are talking about when you refer to as block and if so, what's the best way to get it through there?

Quick Reply: Power Folding Mirror Install on F150