2004 - 2008 F-150

Power Folding Mirror Install on F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dallasdave
One more question... Are the puddle lamps supposed to come on?
Mine do.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine don't - the connection is not in bsm's instructions. I chose not to add the connection and run the extra circuit.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Walter150
Mine don't - the connection is not in bsm's instructions. I chose not to add the connection and run the extra circuit.
No problem if you don't have puddles. I like to have my puddles illuminated as I step in them.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Class A set of instructions. Very well done.

I'll probably hold off until someone can figure out the factory switch but your install looks very nice and close to factory.

Jim

Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 AM
I live in the Seattle area, we have vast experience with puddles, illuminated or not.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 AM
How hard would it be to run another circuit? I really dont know what I am doing, but if I have instructions, I'm 99.8% sure I can accomplish it.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:08 PM
A couple questions to those that have this mod completed.

1) When pulling mirror in and out does the motor just stop when it is completed or will you here a grinding on the gears if you try and go too far?

2) Pin 8 on the diagram of the Exterior rearview mirror driver side (C521 (BK) for reference) if you tap into that wont it illuminate the puddle lights so when unlock your truck they will pop on?

Great job on the step-by-step directions and thanks again for answering all the redundant questions.

By the way the relays are with fog lights since you need them in a fog light setup probably more often than any other do-it-yourself installs. (Car alarms are generally pro installs)

Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Ascii - In response to your questions:
1.) The install I did and documented uses a rocker swith to move the mirrors in and out. When you let go the motor stops in the mirror. If you continue to hold the mirrors will stop where they are supposed and you will hear the motor going. Doesn't sound like anything grinding althought I wouldn't hold it down for fun :-)

2.) I did not connect pin 8 to the wiring harness. Thought about it but never saw a need fo rthe lamps so i didn't investigate further. If one were to install you would have to tap into the same circuit as the interior lights.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'm guessing that the pin 8 would do it. Once I get to doing it if someone else hasn't posted i'll let everyone know if it works with the int lights.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Bob where did you get your dpdt momentary from?

anyone else know more places for switches im trying to find something that looks somewhat factory.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Ascii
Bob where did you get your dpdt momentary from?

anyone else know more places for switches im trying to find something that looks somewhat factory.

Thanks
Sorry - I don't know where my installer got the switch but check with Walter 150 on the Forum - his switch looks similar to mine.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Mine is the one listed in bsm's parts list and ordered from digi-key.com, the supplier listed there. They have any number of sizes and styles. I'll bet a phone call will fix you up real quick. Shipping was lightening fast as well. 800-344-4539

Old 04-17-2005, 03:01 AM
To anyone who does this mod there is an additional way to mod it that might solve some of the minor problems.

On the closing and opening of the power windows, you send a momentary signal to the mirrors. I assume that actually means you hold down the button till the mirrors are closed. Then hold down another button till mirrors are open. You could easily wire in ‘power window’ remote operating modules, the kind sold for opening or closing your windows when you press a remote key.

I have one here in my hand, and it would be easy to rig it so that when you wanted the mirrors to close, you would ‘flash’ the button, and the mirrors would close till the power draw increased, then shut off. Each of these modules control two motors. So to make them go automatically in both directions would require two modules. They sell for 15-30 bucks each, all over the web.

The wiring is dirt simple, and just substitute ‘power mirror’ for ‘power window’ in the instructions.

Another method would use the Ford express up/down modules you can round up on e-bay for 15.00 apiece, or get from your local salvage yard for a buck or two. Each of these methods would allow you to just touch the switch, then the mirrors would go to position.

Hope this helps someone.
I wanted to do this mod, but really can’t find an excuse to play with my mirrors. There is enough room in my garage so I don’t really need to do it. Darn it.
Chris

Old 04-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ChrisAdams
Another method would use the Ford express up/down modules you can round up on e-bay for 15.00 apiece, or get from your local salvage yard for a buck or two.
I keep seeing references on here to these express up and down modules. What terms would you use exactly on ebay or at a slavage yard to find them? "ford express up" doesn't return anything on ebay.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:06 PM
This is a clip from a series of post I made months ago on the subject (not this forum)

The module from Ford is part number F2DB-14B118-AB stock in many mid 90’s FoMoCo products.
They retail at about 50 bucks a pop. Or get them from a salvage yard, usually five bucks apiece. I paid 1.25 each yesterday.

They are very simple to install.
Five wires, numbered one to five. Number one goes to window motor.
Number two goes to window switch.
You break the wire and splice it in, so the power to the window always goes through the module.

Wire three goes to 12volts. Hook it into the same power you use for the windows.

Wire 4 goes to the other window power wire, the one for going the opposite direction. This is a sensor wire, just attatch it.

Wire five is a ground.

Hook up a second for going the other way by doing the same install to the opposite wire. Not as hard as that makes it sound.
If anyone wants, I can send them a schematic, just a simple drawing.
One module for each direction, and each window. Thus I used four, making a ‘package’ that was about five inches on a side. Most would only use one or two, total.

When you don’t use the express the window works just like before. But incorporated is a timer that notices if you just bump the switch. If you continue to press the switch the module doesn’t get involved. If you bump it, it sends the signal to the window motor to take it down till either it notices an increase in load (window at bottom) or 10 seconds has passed. Then it shuts off.

They run for 10 seconds, or till resistance builds, meaning till they hit the top or bottom, or your arm stuck out the window. I wouln't put an infant's head in the window and express up it. wouldn't hurt a big kid.
Don't do express up unless you know what you are doing. Express down is common on most new trucks, but only on one window.

Now I'm adding that some guys are selling them on e-bay, for starting bid of 9.99 plus 5.00 shipping. They are red and blue, the ones I have are black. I think they are getting them from a newer Ford. I mostly pull them from Tarus/Sable 93-up. I get them from these models because in do it your self wrecking yards these are plentiful, and cheap. I have bought 9 modules so far, total cost 13.00. They all worked although one had to have a capacitor soldered back on. They didn't charge me for that one. It worked fine after ten seconds with the solder gun. I took that one to pull apart. Ended up using it.

They are handy little modules, and dead simple to use.
I think they would work on the mirror project, or any other medium to low power motor mod.
Chris

Quick Reply: Power Folding Mirror Install on F150