2004 - 2008 F-150

Door unlocked with a screwdriver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a car stolen, so I do have some (unwanted) experience.

Trust me on this - screwdriver forcing the lock, a brick through the window or a tow truck, the end result is the same.

In fact one could argue that a brick is easier and faster.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 AM
If not noisier. Most of the stolen cars/trucks I've investigated have had a window broke out. Figuring it takes about .5 sec to smash a window the bad guy figures they have about 45 sec to actually steal the car before someone sticks their head out the window to see what's going on.

I've haven't heard of the screwdriver thing on the door lock though.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Most of our stolens don't have broken windows.....a few do but most don't. We have a video at work made quite a few years ago by some mounties in BC........They were demonstrating all kinds of ways cars are stolen...amazing....alarms, the club, chip keys, I don't care what you have...if they want it, they'll take it........

Old 01-08-2005, 01:35 AM
It happened to me on my 2002 f150. First they disconected the alarm from under the front wheel somehow so no noise on alarm only flashing lights. My horn did not work so I took it to the service department the guy instantly connected knowing exactly how they had done it. It appears to be a common problem.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chalkie
It happened to me on my 2002 f150. First they disconected the alarm from under the front wheel somehow so no noise on alarm only flashing lights. My horn did not work so I took it to the service department the guy instantly connected knowing exactly how they had done it. It appears to be a common problem.
Boy, I wish I knew how to do this. I have a couple neighbors with obnoxious car alarms and they are a PITA. Blasting in the middle of the night all the time because a car drives by on the street or something. I'd actually like to fix their stupid alarms with a baseball bat.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:39 AM
I had mine ruined with a screwdriver.
The locksmith who set up my new tumbler said Ford break-ins went up (in his opinion) 60 percent after 20/20 aired a show about how easy it is to break into these trucks. How brilliant. Let's show these tweaked meth-heads how to steal mores stuff for their fix.
Nothing was stolen, and I learned how to take apart my door, but still fries me.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:06 AM
Not sure about the truck doorlocks but my 2002 Mustang Convertible got broke into that way. When my key wouldn't turn in the lock( because of the screwdriver damage) all I had to do was wiggle the lock cylinder up and down, then presto the door was unlocked. Since its genius ford engineering, I wouldn't doubt it that the same thing applies to the truck doors. Ford should be red in the face over that engineering marvel.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Beautiful truck SCREW!!

Old 02-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Ford is not the only brand with this 'problem'.

Scott

Old 02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Alot of times what really happens, when the lock cylinders are replaced because of being seized up or old and not used..the tech will actually build the new cylinder without the tumblers because its faster that way, and alot of them dont know how to build them properly... So naturally when a cylinder has no tumblers, you can unlock it with any key or a screwdriver... I have seen this in ignition and door lock cylinders... Just my .02

Old 02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
I have an 04 SCrew and had this happen to me while I was at a bar. I got back to my truck and noticed my sunglass case was open and some of the stuff out of my center console were on the seats. I didnt have anything valuable in my truck except a change holder which was gone. I had assumed I just left my door unlocked since nothing was broken. Then a week later while cleaning my truck I notice a slight gap between the door handle below the keypad and where it was supposed to fit in my door. When I looked closer I could see that it was bent in ever so slightly, not even noticable unless you get below the door handle and look up.

I guess the question we should be asking is there a way to prevent this?

Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 AM
at least even if they can break in to our trucks easly which every one agrees they can. they should not be able to start the truck without the key with the computer chip in the ignition. they could tow it though.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Personnally Ive had two vehicles broken into (not stolen) and had items in the vehicles taken. Both times a window had been broken out. The first one still had the brick laying in the front seat. The second had an alarm and it was going off in the hospital parking lot while they stole the speaker box out of it. There were also three roving security guards patroling while this was going on. Kind of sounds fishy to me. So if they want something it doesnt matter what you do they can get it. Make sure you have good insurance cause no one else is gonna help you. The best thing you can do is not give them anything to steal and they will look else where. Short of that hide everything you want to keep.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:09 PM
This exact thing happened to me last week. The ford dealer told me he does 2-3 a week that it is quick and simple to put the screwdriver in, give it a good whack with a rubber mallet and pop it up. Here is a low res picture of mine. Excuse me it was a camera phone pic! $173.00 Thanks Ford!

http://img67.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img67...kenlock1my.png

Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Transponder chip in key must match computer's code to start engine. I would like to see more steps taken though. i.e.: If a code is not punched in you get High voltage shock, pepper spray, poison darts... I guess we should be happy we are not sued from thieves that cut themselves on the screwdrivers they jimmy our locks with.

Quick Reply: Door unlocked with a screwdriver?