2004 - 2008 F-150

My truck is a pansy

Old 07-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy My truck is a pansy

I was removing the old coats of sealer from my deck with some nasty chemicals today so I decided I had better move the truck so there was no chance of getting some over-spray on it and ruining the paint.

I own the vacant lot below me so I decided to park it in the driveway leading to the lot. The road is an old logging trail, and the part right off of the street is really steep. (You can't drive out in 2 wheel drive without digging ruts all the way to the top. and even then you had better get a run at it)

Well I drove into the lot, turned around, flipped the switch to 4L and let the truck crawl to the top of the driveway. I get almost to the top when I hear beeeeeeeeeeeep. I looked down at the message center and the display shows "engine in fail safe mode" and the check engine light is on.

Geez, this is the first time since I've owned this thing that it has ever been off of the pavement. My first off road adventure and the engine goes into fail safe mode just because of the steep driveway? Whats up with that? I've seen pictures of other 04 F150's on a lot steeper incline than this is.

I drove it back out onto the street, and shut it off. Fluids are all OK, gas cap was tight. Started it back up and the "fail safe message went away, but the check engine light stayed on. It runs just fine. I drove it about 40 miles this afternoon hoping the check engine light would go away, but no such luck.

Any ideas whats up?? Is this truck just meant to be on a flat smooth road??

Old 07-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems that the truck is meant to be in the shop for repairs all the time.

I was driving down the highway, normal speeds, got 7000kms on er, and bingo, wrench and abs lights on, then C.E.L.

Also i got the rear end shutter, its all good if you live close to a dealership, but i live 2 hours from mine.

some say it needs new programming, which tells me that the computer is bad, others say its the throttle sensor, which makes sense cus thats what the wrench means in the owners manual.

Old 07-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Neil,
Diconnect your battery for 15 minutes. Most of the time it will reset the computer.

Old 07-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will clear the long and short term fuel trims as well. Drive it about 5-10 miles afterwards around town and on the highway for it to relearn.

Old 07-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Damn...

Never had that problem with my 02.

I guess everything didn't get tougher...
Good luck.

Old 07-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Depending on the grade and terrain might have tripped a sensor just right to send a warning signal to the computer, probably oil.....was everything full?

Old 07-04-2004, 07:57 PM
The hill you were on may not have been what set your engine in limp-in mode. To be on the safe side, why not take it in to the dealer tell them what happened and let them pull the codes that were set. That way whatever was the problem might actually get fixed.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I am going to have the dealer check the codes. I'm curious to see what the malfunction was.

Oil and coolant are right up to the full marks.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Unhappy sad man

Hey Neil sorry to hear but don't get to upset It will be fine just a glitch or something. I have had mine offroad 2 times no problems. They are a great truck.

nice talking to you again sherylo

Old 07-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Your truck could have a powertrain problem.

Or. most likely

If your truck is running on an older program version for its computer then it may need a reflash with the current updates. The earlier versions had the sensors set too sensitive and were setting off the engine fail safe mode unnecessarily. I went through the same thing earlier this year and had it (fail safe) go off about 15 times before a updated reflash fixed the problem.

I still have had it go off one time since however when I jump started an expedition with a low battery. The computer sensed a voltage (or current) fluctuation and thought there was a problem and set off the FSM. I unhooked the battery for a while and havent had any problems since.

After 7k miles and 6 months this truck continues to impress me. As I havent exactly been gentle to it.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Wouldn't the engine have been starved for oil for a short time at that slope? Once level the light would go out but the computer would have to be reset. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Hopefully I'll have an answer for the problem sometime Tuesday.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Thumbs up Anyone think there truck is a PANSY?

My good freind and neighbor has been thinking of trading his 1997 f 250 for a 2004 f 150 like mine. He just bought a Sea Ray 260 and was getting ready to head to the lake for the weekend. ( I had to work) When he picked up his boat he found out that his truck was lacking the correct trailer wiring. The 1997 model year only had a four wire harness. I told him to use my truck for the weekend and see if he liked it. He said his boat weighed 7200 lbs. with the trailer.

I said no problem

When he came home he said my truck was a beast and had no problems towing his boat and got 12.9 mpg. He's sold now, and will be at the ford dealer soon.

My truck is a 2004 f 150 larait
5.4 with 373ls and tow pkg.
no performance mods yet.

Pansy truck? I dont think so. I like to think of it as a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Re: My truck is a pansy

Originally posted by Neil
Geez, this is the first time since I've owned this thing that it has ever been off of the pavement. My first off road adventure and the engine goes into fail safe mode just because of the steep driveway? Whats up with that? I've seen pictures of other 04 F150's on a lot steeper incline than this is.
I think the problem you have and the fact that you were on a steep grade are just a coincidence. They are not related (i.e. the steep grade did not cause the problem.) Take your truck in for service so they can pull the codes. Most likely its a throttle sensor problem or the PCM just needs to be updated. I had the same problem (wrench light and CEL) with my truck. The local Ford dealer fixed it simply by updating the PCM - no parts were replaced. It's been running fine ever since no matter where I drive - on the road or in the woods!

Old 07-06-2004, 03:42 PM
SilvrDrgn almost nailed it on the head! And it probably was just a coincidence.

I took it to the dealer this morning. The tech read the code, checked the special service messages and then called the Ford Hotline. A new throttle body assembly is on order. Apparently the throttle body isn't doing exactly what the throttle positioning sensor is telling it to do.

Last edited by Neil; 07-06-2004 at 03:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My truck is a pansy