2004 - 2008 F-150

Heated Seats

Old 05-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated Seats

Does anyone know a good aftermarket heated seat setup?
I saw in YellowFX4SCrew gallery that he has an aftermarket setup which is exactly what I am looking for.
I want some that do not shut off after a set time and that I could turn to the on position so that when I start the truck with Remote start the seats will preheat.

Where I live you need heated seats -40° Celcius for two month requires warm butts!

Old 05-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Northmoose,

Welcome to the forum!

Northwest Terittories! You are up there! Are you north or south of the Arctic circle? Which region? The map that I have handy right now give no detail of the Northwest Territories, so I couldn't find Yellowknife.

I don't have an answer for you about the aftermarket heated seats, but I'll keep an eye out for information on some. I'd say you definately need them.

Any pics to post?

Old 05-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

We are fairly far north up here, we're 512 Kilometres from the arctic circle (318 miles to you!).

The city is the capitol of the territories and has a population of 18,000. the nearest city to us is 1600 kilometres to the south (Edmonton)

We can only drive out from the city during the winter and summer. As we have to cross the McKenzie river via ferry in the summer and ice road in the winter. during the spring and fall you have to fly.

The city is located on the shore of Great Slave lake which is one of the largest lakes in the world.

I have been reading the forums for quite awhile now but never posted before.

Some of my past Fords have been:

1975 F-250 460ci lifted with 38" super swampers
Great truck but ended up with the tires side up

1995 F-150 Scab Eddie Bauer Edition
Loved this truck if it had opening scab doors would have kept it forever

2001 F-150 Screw Lariat
good truck would have kept it but then I saw the 04's

2004 F-150 Scab FX4 styleside in Blazing Yellow.
will let you know, the Ford dealer said it will finally arrive on Monday!!! Ordered a while ago but had to wait until the ice on the river broke up so the ferry could run.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Northmoose
Ordered a while ago but had to wait until the ice on the river broke up so the ferry could run.
Just think, alot of people who ordered on this forum complained if their trucks took longer than a week in transit! A lot of us have become insulated from the influence of Mother Nature...that's not so where you live.

I found Yellowknife on the map. Great Slave Lake is huge! The Mackenzie Bison sanctuary is big, too.
It looks like you have some beautiful and remote country up there.

How many hours of daylight do you have this time of year?

Do you need to do any other mods to your truck to deal with the severe conditions up there?

John

Old 05-28-2004, 01:23 PM
It is kind of hard to wait, I ordered my truck in the middle of April and it should be here on Monday.

It's all part of living in the north, waiting for a truck is a small concern though, the grocery stores start to get a little empty the longer the ferry is out. They still fly in all the perisable items like milk, fruits and veggies, etc but the price also goes up to cover the cost of shipping.

Right now we get about 18 to 20 hours of daylight everyday and that will keep increasing until summer solstice June 21 when we will have about 22 hours of true daylight and a couple hours of "dusk". When I used to work shift work we used to go golfing after nightshift at 3:00am in perfect daylight.

Unfortunately the long daylight in the summer works the exact opposite in the winter when we get lots of darkness.

It is pretty hard for newcomers to get used to but after a couple of years you don't even notice anymore.

The only modifications that people do to there vehicles up here is a block heater on the engine (plug into an electrical outlet to keep the engine coolant from geling and the block from getting to cold.)

most people have battery blankets which is basically an electric blanket that keeps the battery acid from freezing or becoming so cold that it looses cranking amps. On new batteries you don't really need it but as the battery gets older or has been drained of power a couple times it is a must.

The other real popular item is remote starts with low temp settings. obviously the remote start is exactly what it sounds like, push a button on your keychain and the vehicle starts and runs for the set time (usually twenty minutes). the low temp setting is a sensor on the engine block that when the block reaches a certain temperature below zero the truck automatically starts and runs for twenty minutes. It is a great feature but has to be used smartly. I know people who have forgot to turn off the low temp when they went on holidays and there truck kept starting until the were out of gas and the fuel pump burnt out as well as continuing to try until the battery was dead or the starter burnt out. The other draw back to the remote starts is that if you use them too much with out driving the truck you end up with a build up of condensation in your exhaust which rusts them out faster. If you drive the vehicle after you have started it at least the condensation gets blown out of the exhaust.

The only other big thing is all synthetic oils, regular oils just thicken right up at the low temps so you have to use synthetics all the way through from your differentials to transmission to power steering, to engine. It costs quite a bit more but you save in the long run for wear and tear as well as leaking seals.

Another thing you notice in the cold up here is the difference in the new engines, my 1995 F-150 with the old 351ci would be warmed up and toasty warm inside after 20 minutes, the new 5.4 in my 2001 Screw because of the use of aluminum and running cooler for better efficiency won't totally warm up when it is idling in the cold weather, you can leave it run for an hour and that temp guage won't come all the way up until you start driving.

Anyway this is a pretty long post better go.

Any ideas on the seat heaters? If worse comes to worse I will just use the factory ones.

Old 05-28-2004, 02:21 PM
My last car had an aftermarket heat seat kit available, it seemed like it would fit into any seat...

www.pfyc.com

Under Grand Prix, interior accessories.

$99 per seat, with high and low setting.

Something to look into.

Don

I will try the link directly...

Heated Seat

But if that does not work, i guess it makes me a bit of a dope.

Old 05-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Northmoose,

Interesting stuff! Thanks.

It looks like several members of this forum had aftermarket heated seats added by their dealers. I did find this kit online:http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/afcarseathea.html
It looks like it can be connected so that it comes on when the vehicle is started. I don't know anything about the quality of the product, though.

Hopefully, if anyone else can help, they'll chime in.

Good luck,
John

Old 05-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Northmoose,

Here are some options for you.

http://www.seatheater-heatedseats.com/

Old 05-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the info so far

Old 05-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Too cold for me! My sister moved away from Yellowknife

My sister and her husband moved away from Yellowknife a while back. Her husband had been there for quite some time, but she apparently wanted warmer temps...they moved to Minnesota!

Way too cold for this California boy!

Old 05-31-2004, 01:49 PM
IT"S MONDAY!!!!!!

My new truck is here!!!

Yesterday morning when I was driving out to my cabin the Car hauler was sitting outside the Ford dealer with my FX4 Scab Flareside in Blazing yellow sitting on the top of it!!!!

this morning I went down to the dealer and they have it in the shop to do all the pre delivery stuff and put in a few options I wanted.

I should have it by the end of the day today!!!

The only problem is I can't drive around tonight because my beloved Calgary Flames will be winning game four of the Stanley Cup Final tonight and I will be glued to the TV!!

Guess I could go for a late drive.

Last edited by Northmoose; 05-31-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Congrats on you NEW TRUCK!!!

My aftermarket heated seats were set up through www.classicsofttrim.com.

The catch is that they only work with dealers.

Enjoy!

Old 03-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Old 03-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, way to bring back a 3 year old thread.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, I guess way up North you need heated seats! Not down this way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Seats