2004 - 2008 F-150

Gas door spring sloppy

Old 04-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas door spring sloppy

If any of you guys are having trouble with the gas door being loose and not tight when closed Ford has a fix for this,, my flareside door did not close tightly,, dealer at first said this was acceptable then when i re-complained he ordered a new hinge,, this is the black plastic insert that goes around the fill tube,,contains the new hinge which i was impressed with,,alot more solid and stronger and closes the door tightly,,when he showed it to me before installation looked like just a couple of bolts hold it on around the filler tube,,jop

Old 04-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the post, Im sure it will help a few people here that have had problems with their filler doors.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:19 PM
OMC
my door broke about a month ago while I was on a trip. as soon as i got back the dealer orderd the parts and it was all fixed within a week.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Thumbs down

My gas door broke 3 weeks ago. The dealer has ordered the parts and they told me yesterday they are waiting on the OEM. (Nationwide backorder) Apparently Ford Corp. doesn't have any in stock. Three weeks and I still have a flopping door.

Seems like this is going to be a popular repair. The spring mechanism is rather poor and the entire filler neck and door has to be repaced as a unit from the filler (steel) tube all the way on out to the door.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:18 AM
I jokingly told my dad that I should order a new gas door before I drove the truck off the lot because it felt so flimsy. I guess I was right.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:02 AM
I just want to pat myself on the back here for making this gas door prediction. Waaaaayy back in August '03 when I first got to touch an '04 F-150, one of my first complaints on the forum was the cheap-*** plastic gas door. But everyone was like, "Well they've got to cut costs somewhere." And, "It'll be ok." And now people's doors are breaking. They should have left it metal.

The gas door probably gets opened more than the tailgate in most cases.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks Guigster, you were right. Well done. My gas door is a bit spongey as well.

Is it asking too much for you to give some lottery number predictions?

Old 04-30-2004, 12:45 PM
OMC
talking about gas tanks doors and all .. I know this has been touched on before but does anyone sell a locking gas cap yet!!!???? I know a few people said it was in the works but I don't remember reading that one has come out yet.

Old 04-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Thumbs down

My parts are in at the dealer. I asked why they needed a full day to replace my Gas Door! They said, the fuel tank has to be removed and the filler neck taken off the tank to replace the fuel door mechanism. Now, isn't that some smart engineering. Ford cut costs too much here and it's coming back on them. I've seen this before in manufacturing where they cut costs on some component and they end up having to re-design and make the part that they were going to use in the first place!

Old 04-30-2004, 06:23 PM
OMC
fix gas door should take about 3 hours

my door was shot. wouldn't even close sorta just flopped around in the wind. it only took my dealer 3 hours to fix it. droped it off at 8 am and got a call about 11 am... they didn't even start on it right away. so why your dealer needs your truck all day I don't know.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Thumbs up Door installed,, great difference

Had the new hinge assembly installed yesterday,, they ordered the wrong one the first time around,, not a flareside,, read with intrest how one guy said it took them all day to put one in,, my service guy said probably a couple of hours,, told him i would wait,, the door was installed in 45 minutes,, only two bolts hold it on,, if you don't wait for your vehicle you are put on the back of the list till other people who are waiting are taken care of,,jop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas door spring sloppy