2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford Recommended Maintenance Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Recommended Maintenance Procedures

Looking at the myford website, most of the maintenance stops include something called a multi-point inspection. Does anyone know what they actually check , what's all included in this? I can just do it all at home I'm sure, which is why I'd like to know.

I also was wondering if anyone's done a write-up for any of the things at the 15k service. This is what it says:

-Change engine oil and replace oil filter
-Inspect and lubricate steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and, if equipped, half shafts drive shaft and u-joints
-Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
-Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
-Inspect wheel ends for end play and noise
-Perform multi-point inspection
-Rotate tires for optimal tire life

Lubricating all the suspension components is my main question as I don't know where any of the fittings are or anything. I'm also not sure what they mean by wheel ends. Perhaps this already exists and I don't know where, but it would probably be beneficial to have write-ups on the different services required. Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 PM
r8jojo:

I have not been under a FX4 but there are no grease fittings under my 04 4X2. My 00 F150 only had 2. I was told by one of the service writers at the dealership I purchased my truck from that some 04s had fittings on the drive shaft while others did not. Mine does not. May depend on the suppliers of the U-joints.

I think some of the stuff put in the owners manual is simply in there to get the owner to take the vehicle in for servicing by the dealership.

Interestingly, the dealership I purchased my truck from offers free tires for life - sounds like a good deal until you read the fine print that says (paraphased) the dealer must perform all recommended service at the recommended intervals. For what that would cost I could purchase several sets of tires. However, can not fault them for trying to generate business.

Screwdrive

Old 04-15-2004, 12:36 AM
You could subscribe to the Motorcraft manual site for a month ($20 or so) and download all the workshop/service data that way (and TSB's) for the '04 F150.

Rick.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Rick,

Are you talking about the helminc.com site, or is there a different Motorcraft manual site?

Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Yes, please post a link, I would be interested in doing that.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:50 PM
I found it interesting in the recommended series of maintenance schedule book that Ford wants you to bring the truck to them every 5k miles... talk about getting a return on our investment. They will charge you $40 for an oil change every time, at least. I don't think so... Just document your own oil changes in the book.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Ford doesn't make a nickel from you bringing your truck to a dealer. Maybe the recommended service schedule is actually good for your vehicle!

Old 04-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Here is the link, you could even take some training courses as well.....

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...tsid=pubs_home

Rick.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:15 PM
momalle1, ford mfg doesnt directly make a nickel off maintenance but that doesnt mean ford mfg is distanced from the subject. Ford mfg is very closely involved with mfg/dealer business relationships.

Quick Reply: Ford Recommended Maintenance Procedures