2004 - 2008 F-150

Rotate driveshaft 180 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rotate driveshaft 180 degrees

I took my truck in this morning for a pretty good vibration at 42-45 that felt like it was coming from the rear. Picked it up and the vibration is gone and all they said they did was rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees, sort of like indexing. Does this make sense or does it sound like a bunch of BS?

Old 04-14-2004, 06:03 PM
It sound like BS, but if the vibration is fixed.....great. They didn't try balancing the tire first, like every other Dealership. I would ask them what the 180 deg. rotation did to fix it.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:15 PM
It is possible to fix it that way i know when i used to work for GM we had to put them back in the same way they came out or you would chance getting that vibration they might have also lubed the yoke for you too.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:27 PM
If it is a simple as that why did they order a new driveshaft and vibration kit for mine. ( still waiting on steering gear before I can take it in.....going on 4 weeks still waiting )

Old 04-14-2004, 06:46 PM
There should be a nationwide computer networking system whereby all dealers can discuss what they've done to the trucks that people have brought in, what the symptoms were, and what has worked and not worked for these problems. It seems in these threads that every dealer has their own idea of how to fix things, and a lot of fruitless labor is being performed because of it.

I guess that makes too much sense?

Old 04-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Whenever you replace a u-joint you should make a mark on the shaft and transmision, that way the yoke will slide back into the tranny at the same place. Man that is great that your fix was that simple. It would be nice if the other people with these issues could get theirs fixed that easy.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 PM
This is a common method of fixing vibrations. It doesn't always work.

There is a nation-wide network. Not every one uses it. The method used to fix stevenslow's truck has been mentioned in several forums. If you think repairing automobiles is as simple as checking a nation-wide network, you should try it for a while. A network is valuable, but not all inclusive.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:29 PM
The way one of the Service Writers explained it was that when they are assembled they have a mark on the driveshaft to line up when it is installed. If it isn't lined up you get the vibration. Kind of makes half sense to me but it sounded like BS when I heard it. I guess I'll drive it for a while and see what happens.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 PM
They put a new drive shaft in mine... feels like the vibe is gone, or atleast very minimal.
I don't really notice it now

Old 04-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Two days ago, I dropped off my vehicle to my dealership for the 45-50 MPH vibration problem. They have already balanced the tires and replaced two of the tires. They now want to change the drive shaft with a new one off from one of the new trucks in the lot. I checked with the service manager today, and he said he had test -driven ten 04 F-150's and they all had the vibration. They will be testing some more tomorrow and try and find one that does not have a vibration problem.

I hope this is the answer to the problem

Old 04-15-2004, 05:59 AM
At least after checking ten on the lot he's still willing to keep checking until one doesn't vibrate. Sounds like you've got a great dealer there!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The question is, did the repair the cause of the vibration in the trucks they did test drive? If this vibe problem is so common then why don't they drive them and fix them before delivery or placing them on the line for sale?

Maybe the ones that have the serious vibrations that they cannot fix could be offered to female buyers. Then everyone would be happy. They would be smiling enjoying the ride like they were on the back of a harley.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Sounds like they may be installing them wrong at the plant

That would explain why some have the problem and some don't

Be nice if there was a POSITVE answer

Seems like the FAILSAFE mode problem is being fixed

AC is still iffy

Throttle still too slugish

That is why I ain't buying YET and maybe
go to Dodge or Chevy

At 68 years old I ain't got much wait time

Old 04-15-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to rotate their driveshaft themselves (no pun intended). I've never looked at the one on the new ford, but I've removed mine on a 4x4 blazer that I used to have. How much harder can it be?

I have a vibration at 40-50mph and was wondering what it could hurt if I turn it 180 degrees just to check and see if that helps. I've taken the truck in 3 times already 3. Ford did a road force balance, replaced 2 tires, and installed the vibration kit, and it still vibrates.
Could I do any damage by trying this? Would it be that difficult to try, or am I way off target?

Old 04-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Great question, I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure someone has a good answer..............

Quick Reply: Rotate driveshaft 180 degrees