2004 - 2008 F-150

How to remove wheel lip molding for installing Ford Mud Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove wheel lip molding for installing Ford Mud Flaps?

I just received my Ford molded mud flaps. They are the 4x4 with wheel lip molding version.

The insructions indicate that you need to remove the plastic screws the hold the wheel lip molding in place and this is causing me problems.

1) How do you get these screws out in the first place? I've only tried the bottom underside screw so far but the head is completely smooth with no slot to just screw it out. The directions indicate using a screwdriver but trying to just pry it out didn't seem to work.

2) The directions indicate re-installing the two screws inside the well but use the new plastic screw provided with the mud flaps for the bottom of the molding. Are these two screws different than the bottom screw and do they come out a lot easier than the bottom screw?

From the other posts I've seen, it appears others have had no problem installing these mudflaps so maybe others can point me in the right direction - I'm definitely missing something...

thanks in advance,
coorsman

Old 02-29-2004, 03:51 PM
When you received the mud flaps you should have received some more "plugs"

The heads of the plugs should be smooth just like the "screws" with no slots you are trying to remove.

You grab those with the pliers and rip them out. Just the two they show you. Once you attach the mud flap you take two of those plugs and plug the holes back up.

Old 02-29-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't use mudflaps, but I went out and checked my truck.

Those are X-mas type retainers. If you reach around the back side you can push them out. A screwdriver under the head will do it too, although you often end up destroying the retainer when removing it. They are a friction fit only - not threaded.

Just be sure you don't scratch your trim piece if using the screwdriver method.

See this url for an example of them:

http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/...976/213731.htm

Old 02-29-2004, 09:02 PM
I used a pocket knife, slid the blade between the head and the fender, and cut off the fastener. Push it on through and use a new one. Not worth the trouble of trying to save the old fastener.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the mudflaps installed on their truck? I would be interested seeing what they look like.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Do a search for mudflaps in the 2004 F150 sub-category and you'll turn up several threads on mudflaps, some with pics. Here's a couple example threads.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...&highlight=mud[^\s]*%20flap[^\s]*&pagenumber=2

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...mud%2A+flap%2A

I'll be trying out the tips above this weekend. Appreciate the help.

coorsman

Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks, Coorsman. Very good threads.

Quick Reply: How to remove wheel lip molding for installing Ford Mud Flaps?