2004 - 2008 F-150

Picture of SnugTop SL

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Picture of SnugTop SL

Got my SnugTop put on Sat. Paid $950.00

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3492

Last edited by bfab; 12-14-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Great pics, bfab. Thanks...they illustrate everything I mentioned in another thread (except the rotary latches) and added one I forgot, i.e. the handy pull-down strap.

See the gallery/threads of WedgewoodScrew also for more SL photos and testimony from a satisfied customer.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Talking

(except the rotary latches)

Here you go

Old 12-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Damn, you're good, bfab...and fast, too! Thanks, again.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:11 PM
NJR
BFAB & CURMUGEON

My SnugLid SL comes in at the end of the month. You guys still happy with the it, any problems? Either of you get the electric lock? Happy Holidays...:santa: NJR

Old 12-24-2003, 12:03 AM
NJR...the SL is definitely a premium product that will meet all expectations. I got my dealer down to $960 from $1045 ($980 without the Snugtop $20 website coupon).

Happy holidays.

Old 12-24-2003, 03:17 AM
I have not got the electric lock yet the snugtop dealer told me they weren't out yet. The only problem I've seen is when there is water on the led it leaks in to the front of the bed when I open it . I think if they would have installed it just a little more forward that wouldn't happen.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:55 AM
Snuglid

The snuglid is THE cover for the new F150 (IMHO). One problem-- I'm in New York, I can't get 'em here

Old 12-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I had a Snuglid on my 03 regular cab long bed XLT. Mostly I liked it, but it was very heavy, probably owing mostly to its size, to fit a long bed.

I had trouble with the strut brackets. They were the type that clamp onto the bedrail rather than requiring drilling. I liked the idea of that. But the brackets would creep over time, eventually fouling the tailgate. I got no help from the installing dealer on this, he basically blew me off and told me that I could try drilling holes and installing some bolts. This I did, and this solved the creeping problem, but it left me feeling a little cold towards the dealer, who has sold me the last thing he ever will sell me.

The paint around one of the locks (there were two of them, one on each side of the rear of the lid) started cracking within a week of installation. I called the dealer, no help of course. I called SnugTop. The best they could recommend was that I have the dealer ship the lid back to them in CA for examination. I didn't bother.

The lid would really change shape due to temperature changes. During the heat of the summer day, it would bow up in the middle, so much so that the sides would be more than an inch above the bedrails towards the center. This would allow water intrusion during a rainstorm. Other than this, my lid never leaked.

I liked the way the lid looked on the truck. But I had too much trouble with it and too little help with the trouble from the dealer and Snugtop. I won't buy another one.

YMMV, of course.

Old 12-24-2003, 04:20 PM
The lid looks great!
Nice truck too. I have the same color FX4 only it is a supercab and is all silver. I really love my truck.

One question. Can you remove the SnugTop if you need to haul something. If so, how hard would it be to take it off?

Old 12-24-2003, 05:01 PM
bikelover...I assume from your description of the Snugtop tonneau (2 locks vs. 1 lock, 2003 vehicle, etc.) that it was not the current SL model with single lock, etc.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:17 PM
That's right, it had two locks, one on each side at the very rear.

Also, don't get me wrong, I liked the SnugLid. I had a problem with the dealer, and SnugTop would only work thru the dealer. The problems were pretty minor. I think the main complaint was that it was heavy. Even with the gas cylinders, getting it started up was a bear. My girlfriend, who is not weak, couldn't get it going. They didn't put a handle of any kind on the rear of the lid, so you had to use the palms of your hands under the lid itself, and that area was sharp enough to make it painful. I thought this was crude design, but something that could certainly be lived with, and surely modified somehow to make it better.

I think the SnugLid is not real appropriate to a long bed. Probably much better on the short bed of the SuperCrew. It would necessarily be lighter. And this new model sounds better than what I had.

I think that if I ever put another lid on the bed, which is doubtful, I will go with something much lighter and easier to manage. BTW, on the long bed, theoretically you can remove the lid fairly easily, but that thing is big and heavy, would take two, maybe three strong guys to lift it safely off.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 PM
BashamFX$

BashamFX$

For sure you need two people one on each side . If you look at my pictures at the front of the inside of the lid there are two knods undo them, then the lid will lift off. Very ez, but heavy.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Looks good! I couldn't find a local Snuglid dealer here so I opted for the Jason Tonneau, I have some alignment issues I'm still working out but even with those no Leaks even through high pressure washes.. you can check my Gallery for anyone that is in same predictament that I was.

Quick Reply: Picture of SnugTop SL