1997 - 2003 F-150

Headlight upgrades

Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight upgrades

My eyes are getting old and the headlights in my 99 even with new eagle eye buckets and sylvanias just isn't cutting it at night. So I remembered reading about a projector upgrade to the Eagle eyes. Saw a thread on it a while back and Im just wondering for those that have done it if it's worth the time and money?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Projectors are great, and make a huge difference!

That being said, if you wish to attempt it yourself, I highly recommend having a spare set off the truck to play with.

There are companies/professionals that do retrofits too if you want to be hands off. But they can get expensive pretty quickly.

Last edited by Patman; 03-26-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Yeah I would give it a stab myself rather than pay someone else. I figure that if I take my time I should be able to figure it out.

I agree on the extra buckets, that way you don't have a time limit on fitting it. Luckily the Eagle eyes on ebay are cheap and plentiful. I found a great write up here and can't believe that the pics are still good cause its from back in 2010.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...t-upgrade.html

Looks like the retro kit he used is different now from the same company and might be a little easier to install because the rear of the housing looks simpler now.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...r-stage-3.html

They offer either a 35w or 50w kit. Not knowing much about the light output and heat also being a concern in the stock housings I wonder if the 35w kit would be preferable. I'm a total newb to the idea of this so Im learning as I go so anyone who has advice on the subject speak up!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Heat is not a concern, and the 50 watts are worth it. I am very pleased with my FX-R retrofit.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
Heat is not a concern, and the 50 watts are worth it. I am very pleased with my FX-R retrofit.

Hey AndersonS did you use the 3 inch FX-R kit and it all fit OK?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:30 PM
I used the 3" lens. It was a tight fit, but it's all custom anyway, so you can do whatever you want.

Name:  20160130_114611_zpsl8iizxfr.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  20160129_231126_zpsnvec7b6t.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  229.0 KB

Last edited by AndersonS; 04-02-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:22 AM
I used the 3" lens. It was a tight fit, but it's all custom anyway, so you can do whatever you want.

I want a setup like yours can you make them???

Old 04-08-2017, 04:59 AM
Haha, sorry, I don't feel confident enough to do someone else's, but it's simple enough to attempt yourself!

Old 04-09-2017, 04:55 AM
headlight upgrade

Originally Posted by bosifus
My eyes are getting old and the headlights in my 99 even with new eagle eye buckets and sylvanias just isn't cutting it at night. So I remembered reading about a projector upgrade to the Eagle eyes. Saw a thread on it a while back and Im just wondering for those that have done it if it's worth the time and money?

I am going to do the same upgrade on my 2002 F150 Flareside Standard Cab......have had the parts sitting for awhile but the project is waiting it's turn in line with other projects

I am using the 3 inch FX-R kit 35 watt

One of my concerns was with the effect off the headlight flash when using the remote FOB to lock the truck The current inrush without a warm up is not good on the ballasts After
a lot of research I found this link http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...-lighting.html that offers one way to solve that problem

Some have claimed success with having a dealer re program a module by putting the sequence into "police mode" . My local dealer was clueless about how to do it so I was happy to find that link!

Hope it goes well
Marty

Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Whoops, totally forgot to disable perimeter lighting when I did my install.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Whoops, totally forgot to disable perimeter lighting when I did my install.
How long ago was your install ? No problems with ballast failure? Seems like others have reported shortened ballast life due to flashing

Old 04-12-2017, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by Sparkalot
How long ago was your install ? No problems with ballast failure? Seems like others have reported shortened ballast life due to flashing
My install was completed February 2016. I would've done some sort of bypass, but I don't recall reading in the TRS instructions about bypassing that specific feature.

I was only aware of disabling DRL functions, since they run at a lower voltage.

Since my truck has autolamps, and not DRL's, I left the headlight wiring unmodified, but I'm willing to change it if I'm wrong.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...-retrofit.html

Old 04-12-2017, 04:58 AM
headlight upgrade

My install was completed February 2016. I would've done some sort of bypass, but I don't recall reading in the TRS instructions about bypassing that specific feature.

I was only aware of disabling DRL functions, since they run at a lower voltage.

Since my truck has autolamps, and not DRL's, I left the headlight wiring unmodified, but I'm willing to change it if I'm wrong.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...-retrofit.html
Maybe I am overthinking it.....just that any kind of lighting ballast is not designed for high inrush currents without a warm up.....if it aint't broke don't fix it as they say

I spoke to TRS a while back and they suggested finding a way to avoid the headlight flash, though declined to tell me how since there are gazillions of makes and years these ballasts get installed on and bypassing is different for each unique install

If all is ok with your HID system, keep on truckin.....time will tell if any changes needed

Old 04-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sparkalot
Maybe I am overthinking it.....just that any kind of lighting ballast is not designed for high inrush currents without a warm up.....if it aint't broke don't fix it as they say

I spoke to TRS a while back and they suggested finding a way to avoid the headlight flash, though declined to tell me how since there are gazillions of makes and years these ballasts get installed on and bypassing is different for each unique install

If all is ok with your HID system, keep on truckin.....time will tell if any changes needed
NOPE, TOO LATE! The mod bug has bitten. I think I'll do the bypass in the link you posted. It's be nice to get the parking lights and fogs to flash instead of the low beams. The LED halos that come with the TRS kit are pretty sweet.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:50 PM
headlight upgrades

NOPE, TOO LATE! The mod bug has bitten. I think I'll do the bypass in the link you posted. It's be nice to get the parking lights and fogs to flash instead of the low beams. The LED halos that come with the TRS kit are pretty sweet.
It gives an excuse to play with your truck ha ha.....I cant wait to do my retrofit to the HIDs as I said the parts are sitting in my shop, then I bought a Harley, and then I started mods on the bike but I am almost coming full circle back to the truck

Have fun!

Search this Thread