1997 - 2003 F-150

Adjusting tilt steering turns off headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting tilt steering turns off headlights

This issue just started recently. Driving to and from work in the dark gets a bit dicey if I'm not careful.
So, on my 2003 Lariat supercrew, if I use the tilt to adjust my steering wheel to the nearly level position, my headlights go out. If I then move it either up or down slightly, the headlights come back on.
Admittedly, I haven't been able to trouble shoot this issue since I'm working 14 hour days. Hopefully with the help of the forum, I can finally work on it this weekend while I'm off.

Not sure if my muti-function switch is going out or, if there's an issue with some other wiring in the column.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.....

Old 03-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Off hand... I'd say you have some chaffed wires in the steering column....or at best loose connection.

IT MAYBE that your whole steering column is loose?? Can you wiggle the steering wheel around without trying to use the tilt? ....check the mounting under the dash.

Do you have any other strange electrical things going on?? wipers activate by themselves or erratic in use??

Does this sit outside often? Have you had heavy rain lately? Is the drivers side floor damp or wet? IF yes to those. Then you have a windshield that is probably leaking and contaminated the GEM module.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It's not a chafed connection, it s a connection in the harness that runs up the column to the multifunction switch that is getting stretched when the wheel is tilted downwards.

You'll need to pull off the column shrouds and inspect the wiring harness and make the necessary adjustments so it doesn't pull on the connector when tilted.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Agreed it's known issue for the connector to depin from being stretched/stressed