1997 - 2003 F-150

Cab fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cab fire

02' f150 suber cab...I had a little fire in the passenger side door pocket...burnt things up pretty well. Managed to contain things to the door.

Drove home some 25-30 miles and then to town trying to chase down interior door parts, so additional 40 miles.

Got home & proceed to remove what was left of the door panel. The electric windows where down ( both sides) and inoperative. I figure it was just a blown fuse, no biggy.

I cut the worst part of the wiring harness in the door out. Separated the wires for the window and hot wired the window motor just so to get the window up. Worked like a charm , no funny noises, zipp up it went & removed the temporary power source, (cordless drill battery 18v., which was about half charge). Taped up the wires ends so not to short out anything else..

1) Ok is there a disconnect to the passenger side door wiring harness inside the same side front fender or does it go all the way to the main power/fuse block?

2) Why could I start and run all the way back home and then another 40 mile round trip & run perfect and now miss and fart around?? check engine light on and the trans shift wand the tow light is flashing?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My guess is that the short in the door damaged some wiring back closer to the battery and fuse box and that a hot wire may have melted into another wire that is related to the engine or tranny. The short in the door should have blown a fuse before it became a full scale fire so I'd start by unbolting the fuse panels(s) and having a good close look at them, front and back. I'd also look at the relay panel and in particular around the relays that related to the P door, lock, window, and anything else in the door that draws power.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 PM
update;
I got it running back to normal. I'm a idiot, In my haste to clean up the mess and melted wires.
I cut out the worst part. What I failed to do is disconnect the battery prior to cutting. I knew at this point that there was fuse blown already, so snip snip I went. Then I tried to get more fuses and it ran sh!##y. back home I went.

So I calmed down some & thought about it.... got more fuses and replaced them. Scanned for codes and came up with Like nine. All the while checking the fuses I replace to see if the continue to pop. None seem to have so far. I cleared the codes and all still seems to be OK....I have to drive more to see if more show up.

SO when I cut the wires I shorted things out that should never be...

TO be safe I parked it outside for the night and will pop the battery cable off too.

fuses that blew
under the dash #14 & #2 or #4....thinking it was #2
Under the hood #23 & either #13 or #9

the only thing Odd that is happening now is that the dome light goes out when ever the passenger door is opened

Last edited by enriched; 02-20-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more & spelling
Old 02-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by joe51
My guess is that the short in the door damaged some wiring back closer to the battery and fuse box and that a hot wire may have melted into another wire that is related to the engine or tranny. The short in the door should have blown a fuse before it became a full scale fire so I'd start by unbolting the fuse panels(s) and having a good close look at them, front and back. I'd also look at the relay panel and in particular around the relays that related to the P door, lock, window, and anything else in the door that draws power.
Strange thing is there is no fuse labeled just for the windows. There is one for the door locks.

So it must be under one of those multi generic power acc slots?? IDK I'm getting too tired to look at it to night.

I must of been a real sight....I had Knee replacement just before thanksgiving and am now just starting to move around pretty well. I limp pretty good again as the day wears on. SO here I am hobbling and limping around, throw damp dirt at the flames. lost a cap too

I'll check into it more...Thanks for the insight

Could have been worse

Last edited by enriched; 02-20-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 02-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Man, what a mess! But you're right, it could have been worse. Most people would have panicked and run away and the whole truck would have burned. Any idea what caused the problem to begin with?

Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Wow that's quite a melt down. Glad you got it out so quickly!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 AM
causes???

Man, what a mess! But you're right, it could have been worse. Most people would have panicked and run away and the whole truck would have burned. Any idea what caused the problem to begin with?
Well... theories. one is possible but not very probable, that something shorted out the door switching, either the power window or door lock shorted out??

A more probable theory is.... that a spark/ember floated into the lower door pocket and ignited some paper, glove, shop towel....I was burning some brush in the bayou pasture. The truck was parked up wind and a good 15-20 ft away...making the window more like 20-25 ft. window were down , engine off and ACC was on so I could listen to the radio. Once the fire got going I was adding stuff that still had frost and ice on it, so it wasn't like everything was tinder dry and full of sparks

Last edited by enriched; 02-22-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: more
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Wow that's quite a melt down. Glad you got it out so quickly!
There are some hindsight thoughts.....insurance & vehicle history wise, maybe better to just let her go BUT I do like my truck, don't misunderstand that. Smell will be hard to get tamed down to a undetectable level.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Looks like I can get used parts out of the salvage yard for about $250-350 and get back to normal...so to speak. I did recheck the codes and none are coming up

Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 AM
This is about the best stuff that I've found for killing odors. But I don't know how well it would work for smoke. Make sure that you get the UNscented stuff, I personally HATE the sickening perfume smell that is added to most products. <https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozium-Smoke-Odor-Eliminator-Car-Home-Air-Sanitizer-Freshener-0-8oz-New-Car/116183504?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3392&a did=22222222227061942239&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=& wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=166024248174&wl4=pla-274994692315&wl5=9011767&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=113836537&wl11=online&wl12=116183504&wl13=&veh= sem>

Old 02-27-2017, 09:28 AM
PS did you take a CLOSE look at the wires that were located where the fire happened? If they shorted you can often find the copper melted, but if it was an non-electrical fire then the insulation will burn but the copper will look intact. OTOH that may not be true on the THIN wire that Ford uses.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:45 PM
PS did you take a CLOSE look at the wires that were located where the fire happened? If they shorted you can often find the copper melted, but if it was an non-electrical fire then the insulation will burn but the copper will look intact. OTOH that may not be true on the THIN wire that Ford uses.
thanks Joe51,
There is a fair bit of bare wire that insulation melted away...but none that looks like the cooper is melted away.

I got MUCH of the smell knocked down with good ole baking soda sprinkled in the carpet. I agree that much of the "scented" stuff is undesirable.

I think they had that Ozium stuff at Advanced Auto at about the same price.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:59 PM

I'm Looking for wiring diagram/schematic for....( you guessed it) the passenger side door. one with electric door locks and power window and rear mirror.

Ok weather is warming up... & I got a harness out of the salvage yard. Are wire color codes going to be the same within this generation especially the later half 2000-2003?
Did some clean up....wire brushed off all the stuck on melted plastic and sprayed on some bed liner cover up everything again

Last edited by enriched; 03-19-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: more