1997 - 2003 F-150

What's this mystery noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's this mystery noise?

I noticed this noise while driving my F150 on the driveway tonight. It sounds like a rough scraping noise. Any idea what it is? It was intermittent, it happened even while the truck was parked, and then it stopped shortly after I stopped recording.

I apologize for the sound of the keys swinging around... I didn't notice that and had no idea how annoying it would be.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rolypolyman
I noticed this noise while driving my F150 on the driveway tonight. It sounds like a rough scraping noise. Any idea what it is? It was intermittent, it happened even while the truck was parked, and then it stopped shortly after I stopped recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdb3g9zPTW0

I apologize for the sound of the keys swinging around... I didn't notice that and had no idea how annoying it would be.
Well your right, the keys are a distraction as to what is really going on.

at first I thought of a heat shield that has come loose and is scraping on the drive shaft or the ground. BUT you say that is was still doing it after you had stopped. That would also kinda rule out suspension stuff, which was my next guess that a sway bar end link broke.

More investigation is needed.

If it still is doing this with no movement (Check in Park, Check in Reverse & Check in Drive but no movement) and just the engine running....then see if it is RPM related , meaning , see if it increases with the RPM or stays the same no matter the RPM.

If that still holds true...then it just about hast to be engine related. Engine mounts , tranny mount, fan shroud, loose/rotted radiator mount, or something on the serpentine mount drive system??

You might have to redo the video and enlist the help of a buddy to narrow it down.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the noise change in relation to engine RPM? Wheel RPM? Does it make the noise when you're driving down a smooth road?

Feed us, man.