1997 - 2003 F-150

Troublesome problem!!

Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troublesome problem!!

Okay see here's some background; 1998 f150 xlt 2wd 246k 4.6 vin #6, replace spark plugs, egr, tbs, iac, cam sensor, crank shaft sensor, air filter, fuel filter & pump, air filter, and maf all within the last 12,000 miles. I've had the battery, alt, and starter tested, all good. Have 2 misfires (cylinder 2 & 3), p0430 code, and "insufficient flow" for the egr.
Problem: Whenever I'm driving in parkings lots or residential areas with any stop signs or when stopping at a light, the truck idles down real low (200-400 rpms) like it wantsto die, all the lights dim at night. After doing this for 5-6 seconds it goes to idleing rough from the 2 misfires. This also happens whenever I take sharp turns and have to cut the wheel but it dies when I turn like that? Any help is much appreciated.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The 4.6 engines are notorious for the egr passages clogging up and causing incorrect flow. You need to remove the throttle body and clean out the passages probably.

The missfires can cause the p0430 code. I would swap the fuel injectors around and see if the miss follows the injectors. I'd also run a bottle of Gumout for high mileage engines in the gas for a couple of tanks.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...pencer-clayton

Old 02-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
You spent a lot of money replacing parts instead of diagnosing the issues.
The 430 code is telling you the cats on bank 2 are near end of life. This means Cat efficiency threshold has been reached.
The insufficient flow should be a code 401. A flow failure test done by the computer.
If your misfires codes are 302 and 303 , it could be a head gasket, coil or plug wires. Likely not two injectors at the same time unless the plugs are not seated.
If the codes are 352 and 353, could be a coil or the harness back to the computer.
Bottom line is for all the guessing, you could have saved a lot of money by looking at the live data with a Scanner and know what is gong on for a direction to go in.The poor idle and stalling is likely rich fuel tables.
You simply have to see these things in order to know what to do for the repairs.
At the moment you have no idea.
Start by listing ALL the codes, not you opinion on what they mean.
Then work in the codes and not some other parts or place that has no relation to them.
Good luck.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM
I replaced all of the parts listed for another problem that was unrelated, I just wanted to give everyone enough information of what is wrong and what has already been replaced. I'm not worried about codes i know what they mean and have them all narrowed down( not being a smart a**, my question was about the low ideling and dying out. I just listed the codes i have incase someone could pin point them to a possible problem they have delt with that is similar to my problem. But anyway, I took your advice Roadie but instead of gum out i used seafoam and it cleared up the problem after i made a few runs with it in. But sadly still cannot figure out why it's dying when i turn sharp left or right.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Seafoam is a mild cleaner and can harm the cats from what I've read. Gumout or Chevron Techron or any other cleaner that has PEA in it will do a better job. Supposedly, Chevron Techron is the only cleaner recommended by Ford.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:20 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Old 04-02-2017, 12:26 AM
To be honest with you my truck did the same thing. Idled down real low and sharp turns and sometime my truck even shut off doing a sharp turn. My resolution was changing the shift solenoid A. Now I'm not saying Gia is your problem but that's what my issue was. There's a little plastic piece that you have to somewhat move out of the way and be careful with that because it's like a circuit board.

Search this Thread