1997 - 2003 F-150

Remote Door Lock/Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Door Lock/Unlock

I have a 97 F150 with factory remote door lock/unlock functionality. For several years, I've dealt with the truck not wanting to lock with the remote until the engine has been shut off for about 30 to 60 seconds. This usually means I've gotten out of my truck and walked half-way into a store before the horn honks to let me know the doors locked. Once that time has passed, I can unlock/lock as expected. I've replaced my remotes and batteries and it's not a remote issue. I've replaced the RAP module and reprogrammed it and the symptoms are exactly the same. Any other ideas of what may be going on?

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by rbherman; 01-09-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds a whole lot like a last-door-closed alarm delay. Is it possible you have an aftermarket (or dealer-installed) alarm system? Is there an LED in the dash or elsewhere? Post a pic of your remote if you can. That will be a dead giveaway.

Andy

Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 PM
As indicated, it's a factory system, not aftermarket, and uses the stock ford remotes. I ordered this truck new in 1996 and specified every option it has. It used to work perfectly, but over the years, this issue has only gotten worse. It's not dealer installed!

Last edited by rbherman; 01-10-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by rbherman
As indicated, it's a factory system, not aftermarket, and uses the stock ford remotes. I ordered this truck new in 1996 and specified every option it has. It used to work perfectly, but over the years, this issue has only gotten worse. It's not dealer installed!
Well, pardon me for trying to help.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of people come in here saying their stuff is OEM and then post up a pic of aftermarket. Good luck getting any help with that attitude.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Read up on the GEM. That is where your initiation is developed. You have a GEM problem. I am a regular poster on another site, and have many years of Ford parts/service and warranty under my belt. I forgot about being a member on here, and since no one wanted to answer, I did. Note: GEM is number specific, so order correctly if you have to get one.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Read up on the GEM. That is where your initiation is developed. You have a GEM problem. I am a regular poster on another site, and have many years of Ford parts/service and warranty under my belt. I forgot about being a member on here, and since no one wanted to answer, I did. Note: GEM is number specific, so order correctly if you have to get one.
Hey, I tried, but got my head bit off.

​​​​​​.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by akdoggie
Thanks akdoggie! I'll check out the GEM. I had another user that suggested one of the door switches could be sticking. I'm not sure if that's it or not as the interior lights go on/off as expected.

Ron

Old 01-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks akdoggie! I'll check out the GEM. I had another user that suggested one of the door switches could be sticking. I'm not sure if that's it or not as the interior lights go on/off as expected.

Ron
Incredibly, the remote hasn't given me any trouble since I posted this thread. I keep thinking when it does give me issues, I want to see how the interior light is reacting to the door sensor switch. I've read about the GEM and it's a definite possibility, although I don't have any other trouble with the truck. I'll post an update once I learn more. Again, thank you akdoggie for giving me some direction of things to look at on this one.

Ron