1997 - 2003 F-150

Tensioner pully broke, pully ground a small opening where mounted. Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tensioner pully broke, pully ground a small opening where mounted. Help

Hey guys . coming from St. Pete Florida . I'm shawn. Need some info. So the other day started to hear a small grinding noise from what I thought was the bearings in the AC compressor. But once I started digging around. It's was the tensioner pully bearings where shot. After removing the tensioner arm. You could see where the pully actually ground a small hole. Where it was touching the area it was mounted to. I didn't see any fluids leaking once I out things back together. And drove the truck. Anyone help me not worry. Is that mounted where the oil is? Should I worry that there is a hole in the area right behind where the tensioner pully faces the engine?
I want to say I'm no.mechanic by any means. But this sight has been an amazing help to me. In saving.money. and keeping this old work truck rolling. So a big thanks to everyone here that helps us not so mechanically include people out there.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
There is oil behind the tensioner, on the front cover yes. If the hole had fully penetrated, it would definitely leak, but it doesn't sound like it did. Without pics it's hard to say.

EDIT: The above assumes you have a V8. I know nothing about the V6.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Clean off the area good to bare clean metal, then apply JB Weld mix for a sealer.
Good luck.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Yes knowing what year and what motor would be a big help.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 AM
It is a 97 f150. V 8. 4.6. It sure looks like it went through in a spot. About a half inch or so. But don't see anything coming out. Already thought about the JB weld. But before taking everything back off. Wanting to get more thoughts on the issue. Still can't believe that pully cut that so fast

Quick Reply: Tensioner pully broke, pully ground a small opening where mounted. Help