1997 - 2003 F-150

New to the forum- complete overhaul needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum- complete overhaul needed

So I just joined the forum and wanted to take the time to introduce myself here. My name is Brian and I live in Kansas. I joined because my lady has a 99 f150. 4.2, 4x4, single cab long bed. It was her grandfathers truck then gifted to her. The other day the original engine finally quit. Just shy of 340k miles! Impressive. She absolutely loves the truck and wants me to rebuild it. I have an automotive background. Mainly performance applications and mod motors though. This will be the biggest task I have taken on so far and am hoping you guys will help me along the way. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Welcome! With that many miles, most everything is worn I suspect in that engine. I think I would go with a quality built long block. Less work and should be good to go for a long time. A used engine might be a good choice if you could find one that doesn't have a ton of miles on it. Good engines those 4.2s.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:42 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
As long as you get a 99-03 engine. The 97 and early 98's have gasket issues and hydrolocks.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh crap! does that mean I only have 20 thousand miles left, mine is sitting at 320k right now.

I agree the 4.2 is a good motor and I have been very impressed with mine.

A used motor would be the least expensive way to go. Machine work and parts can get expensive, but you know you have a quality engine when you are done. It all boils down to how much time and money you want to throw at it.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
Oh crap! does that mean I only have 20 thousand miles left, mine is sitting at 320k right now.

I agree the 4.2 is a good motor and I have been very impressed with mine.

A used motor would be the least expensive way to go. Machine work and parts can get expensive, but you know you have a quality engine when you are done. It all boils down to how much time and money you want to throw at it.
Hers was using/leaking a lot of oil. She made sure to check it at least every two weeks but it got worse and two weeks wasn't enough and ran it 3.5 qts low and that finally did it. The truck was old and tired though. I really want to put a rebuilt motor in. We are getting her another car to drive so a time crunch really isn't a big deal. I'm just debating on whether or not a lower miles used motor would be a better platform to start with. I'm going the go through the trans while its apart as well since it is also original.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Does anybody have any reccomendation on an entire rebuild kit from somewhere?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would recommend going to your Ford parts counter and order up a complete longblock along with anything else you see that is shot or even questionable.

I have seen in cases, where you can order up a longblock and they spec out all the other parts and assemble it and test it (drop in engine replacement) in the service shop, and you just take it home on a skid. That is probably your best bet, where you just hoist it in, and hook up the hoses, wiring, and tranny and off you go. Of course you pay for the hourly fees for assembly and testing, but you know what you are getting.

Quick Reply: New to the forum- complete overhaul needed