1997 - 2003 F-150

Truck idling OK stalls when stopping or going down a steep hill

Old 10-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck idling OK stalls when stopping or going down a steep hill

Hi guys I have a 1998 F1 50 has a V-8 engine 4.6 L it idles OK and park by soon as you shipped it to drive or a verse it seems to idle little bit lower which is expected the problem I'm having is when I'm going down a steep hill or decelerating quickly it will either idol extremely low or install out trying to figure out what this is going to be a vacuum leak I've already cleaned the mass airflow sensor and the IAC this truck has an automatic transmission any help is appreciated

Old 10-10-2015, 10:47 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'd pull the throttle body and clean it and the EGR passages in the elbow.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Where would that be located at
Thank you

Old 10-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Ok so I found them 2 questions first do I take the throttle body completely off or just spray the hole that you see after disconnecting the elbow

Second should I use mas sensor cleaner in the elbow or should I use carb / throttle body cleaner

Old 10-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Should this be like that honestly have no clue what it is but it plugs in to the throttle body
Maybe for heater because it's in the middle

Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 PM
glc
Why did you start a new thread? You have a couple replies in the new thread.

REMOVE the TB and the lower elbow to do the cleaning.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Why did you start a new thread? You have a couple replies in the new thread.

REMOVE the TB and the lower elbow to do the cleaning.
Sorry I wanted to make sure to keep the thread on the same topic some forums are super picky about that........

Anyways thank you, I cleaned the throttle body and sensor that was in the elbow after the mass airflow sensor. This seemed to do the trick it doesn't stall while Going down my driveway anymore.

I did find one other problem though when i rev it high i hear pops and the truck rattles my father seems to think that it's backfiring. The spark plug wires keep comming loose they don't pop completely off but enough that you can pull them off easily with one finger. Also when going 60+ mph it gets worse and the check engine light flashes

Last edited by Shane Dulemba; 10-10-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:47 PM
glc
You may have loose spark plugs or incorrect wires. Use only Motorcraft plugs (torque 28 ft/lb) and Motorcraft wires.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You may have loose spark plugs or incorrect wires. Use only Motorcraft plugs (torque 28 ft/lb) and Motorcraft wires.
Agh so not autolite

Old 10-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I was told that that autolite makes a sparlplug that matches the plug motorcraft makes and that I should try this

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/permatex-dielectric-tune-up-grease-09980/7730006-P?searchTerm=spark+plug+compound

What do you think Is this valid info. REALY DONT WANT TO CHANGE PLUGS AGAIN SUCH. A PAIN !!!!!

Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 PM
glc
Even though Autolite plugs are made to "fit" the engine, they are known to have possible performance and durability issues.

Dielectric grease should always be used SPARINGLY in the spark plug boots. If the wires don't "click" when installing them on the plugs, you have crappy wires or they aren't fully on the plugs.

If you recently changed the plugs, pull the wires and use a TORQUE WRENCH on them - 28 ft/lb. If the wires are old or some cheap offbrand, REPLACE them.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Even though Autolite plugs are made to "fit" the engine, they are known to have possible performance and durability issues.

Dielectric grease should always be used SPARINGLY in the spark plug boots. If the wires don't "click" when installing them on the plugs, you have crappy wires or they aren't fully on the plugs.

If you recently changed the plugs, pull the wires and use a TORQUE WRENCH on them - 28 ft/lb. If the wires are old or some cheap offbrand, REPLACE them.
Ok I'll try that I'll also check the pin hole that they have to release pressure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck idling OK stalls when stopping or going down a steep hill