1997 - 2003 F-150

Payday tomorrow, broke tomorrow (purchase list)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Payday tomorrow, broke tomorrow (purchase list)

So, for some odd reason I got a wild hair, and decided to extend a 98 f150's life for many years to come. Going to lose my **** in the end, but hey, I like my old girl. Anyway, this is being ordered tomorrow. (isn't a help thread, just random convo)

2 Lower Ball Joints
2 Outer Tie Rods
2 Inner Tie rods
2 Upper Control Arms
1 pass. side Brake Caliper
New front pads and rear shoes
1 Transmission Mount
1 4R70W Master Rebuild Kit (may wait until next payday)
1 Reman. Torque Converter (may wait until next payday, swapping from 4.6 to 5.4 next spring, so not going crazy with this Torque Converter, as it will be replaced with a 5.4 TC, or a 4R100. Hope it's decent)
4 Shocks
1 Power Steering Line (from pump to steering gear)
Front Wheel Bearings
2 Inch Front, 4 inch rear drop

I think that's all for this order, as I don't have the list I made earlier on hand. Anyone else ever feel like they invest too much money in something that isn't worth it, but your personal feelings overtake common sense? All this for a truck with 200k+ miles, and now planning a supercharged 5.4, slightly built swap next year... Fords may get hated on, but Ford owners should be thanked, for keeping these old American Built turds going. Should be a fun weekend, anyone want to join me?

Last edited by Zilla98; 09-17-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Forgot input shaft, trans cooler (both can wait), Pitman arm, and MAYBE idler arm, but I heard special tools are needed, and haven't read up enough... Guess I have work to do tonight.. Have to do everything at once, as I would like to get it aligned one final time, and then can pinpoint all other noises/vibrations throughout the truck.

98 Nascar AKA: Black Betty AKA Bamalamb (don't be stealing my girls name) still will have many issues, but hopefully she will smile. If she does, I will do her exhaust (say what?!?!?), new mirrors (as my glass like to shake out of position), random U-joints and 43 other things that will be wrong by Monday. $$ I will take opinions on brands of stuff though, as I was using Moog parts, but they aren't holding up too well, reason I am replacing now. Excited drunk talk...

Last edited by Zilla98; 09-17-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:10 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
There's something else you need - don't remember exactly what they are called or where they go, but there's some eccentric adjustable cams that you need in order to do a proper alignment. Ask at your local alignment shop.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by glc
There's something else you need - don't remember exactly what they are called or where they go, but there's some eccentric adjustable cams that you need in order to do a proper alignment. Ask at your local alignment shop.
Camber Bolts, true true. Good eye. I'll have to check if they're included in anything I'm ordering, if not, would definitely want those while I'm in there. +1

Old 09-18-2015, 03:53 AM
Nah, I say do the supercharger first and throw the build on here haha.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
Nah, I say do the supercharger first and throw the build on here haha.
I would if that stupid money tree I planted would have worked the way I planned. On a serious note, I've been feathering a completely F'd up torque converter for over a year now, so any Engine fun times will have to wait. Really should be doing the 4r100 and let this 4r70 sit, but running out of time. When the Engine is ready to go in I will make a thread for it. Time to put my order in... Sad sad..

Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Calipers are super easy to rebuild, (except rear Dodge Viper/Lotus Elise calipers which Dodge says cannot be serviced) did you look into a seal kit?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Calipers are super easy to rebuild, (except rear Dodge Viper/Lotus Elise calipers which Dodge says cannot be serviced) did you look into a seal kit?
Yea I did. Reason I am replacing is the previous owner neglected the brake fluid, so when I got around to flushing it, was super green, looked like swamp water. Not long after that the driver side caliper locked up, and was full of trash. For the price they are, and the importance they play, i'd rather replace and have that extra peace of mind. Appreciate the info though, I probably would go that route if that fluid didn't look sooooo bad.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Zilla98
Yea I did. Reason I am replacing is the previous owner neglected the brake fluid, so when I got around to flushing it, was super green, looked like swamp water. Not long after that the driver side caliper locked up, and was full of trash. For the price they are, and the importance they play, i'd rather replace and have that extra peace of mind. Appreciate the info though, I probably would go that route if that fluid didn't look sooooo bad.
Green brake fluid? WTF? I have never seen that. I just googled it and it happens. Weird.

Anyway, I like to rebuild myself so I know some minimum wage kid hasn't put my calipers together after a night of heavy drinking. Instead, it's me putting them together after a night of heavy drinking.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Green brake fluid? WTF? I have never seen that. I just googled it and it happens. Weird.

Anyway, I like to rebuild myself so I know some minimum wage kid hasn't put my calipers together after a night of heavy drinking. Instead, it's me putting them together after a night of heavy drinking.
hahaha, Touche.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:50 PM
No need to start a new thread. Been out of town for work for a few weeks so no install yet. Everything above has been ordered except for shocks. Since I wont get to the truck until Friday, I was curious about the shocks I am about to order.

These are what I have in my cart...
KYB KG54311 (front)

KYB KG54312 (rear)

Good? Work with a 98 Nascar (factory lowered 1" on all four)

I ended up going with mainly all Moog parts again for joints, tie rods, etc etc, just an FYI.

Quick Reply: Payday tomorrow, broke tomorrow (purchase list)