1997 - 2003 F-150

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice

I've a 97 F-150 4.2L v6 2wd that is just about to drive me mad.

The clutch is giving me a headache.

This clutch is relatively brand new. It was replaced at the same time as the engine because the shop changing the engine dropped the transmission accidentally so bought and installed a fresh one.

The slave cylinder has gone out, and the shop I got an estimate from (the best respected shop in the area) says at least $800 just to do the clucth which will want replacing with the cylinder both because on this idiot transmission you have to take the whole thing apart to get at the cylinders and because the blown slave is eating up the clutch.

If all I need is the new slave and the clutch, that's about $300 worth of parts. If I can find a friend with the right tools (I don't even have ramps to get under there for any of this) how big a pain in the **** is it to do the work? I've seen everything from "it's a breeze, probably just take a couple hours" to "expect a team of mechanics to take all day or longer and it will be sheer hell"

Also, how often should I lose a slave cylinder like this? This is the second one I've had go out in the 8yrs I've had this truck. If I need to put $800-1200 into the transmission every few years, I may as well sell it and get something not designed by monkeys (an opinion, even of Ford lovers, everyone who's worked on that truck RE several aspects of how the '97 is made)

Old 09-16-2015, 05:38 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
The hardest part is getting the tranny out and back in. I'd highly recommend you have a shop manual available. The exhaust may need to be dropped, and the tranny has to be rotated 90 degrees to get it in and out, so drain the fluid, don't forget to replace it after you get it reinstalled.

The slave is known to blow on these things, the latest genuine Ford slaves are improved.

If you are going to replace the clutch (I recommend OEM, not aftermarket), I'd resurface the flywheel and replace the rear main seal unless it was done when the engine was changed. Flush the clutch fluid and bleed it well.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Years ago I did a clutch on a f150 a 1990 and didnt replace the slave. Went out in a month. Never do that again! 800 is about right for R&Ring the trans.. You might be able to remove the trans, slide it back just enough to get the slave. The clutch it oil soaked though I'd at the minimum want to clean it with brake parts cleaner.. Should of course be replaced.. Pulling a transmission is a big project the 800 isnt bad and if you have never done one unless you have a really good friend who is good with a wrench you probably should let a professional do it.

Last edited by jethat; 09-17-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
A full clutch job is about $1200 parts and labor.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Way back about 1959, the throwout bearing was making some noise in the 55Chevy 6cyl that I drove. I bought a new bearing for about $8 as I remember and a local mechanic who had his own garage pulled the trans and replaced the throwout bearing for $4. That is what he charged per hour and it took him one hour. On that car the engine had 4 motor supports and the trans had none so it was easy to remove and replace. My how times have changed!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

I suspect, then, I shall be getting a new vehicle. I like the truck well enough, but this one has too many design aspects that make various people who've worked on it scratch their head and ask "WTF were they thinking?!" to rely on it as my only transportation.

I may keep it as a project vehicle -- new, less irksome tranny, maybe try out a bit of information I found on here years ago for converting it (with not much effort with specific Cumminses) to diesel, etc. Maybe I'll sell it and keep my eyes peeled for a late 60s F-100.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Seems to me the V6, manual trans, 2wd is about a simple as they come. If you just want a newer truck, then go for it.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
They all suck for one reason or another. No manufacturer does everything "right". Go get yourself a different truck designed by different monkeys and you'll find something else to complain about.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice