1997 - 2003 F-150

Vanity lights, map lights, auto mirror no work :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vanity lights, map lights, auto mirror no work :(

Hello guys, new here, and just hoping
to get some help. Or at the very least get a direction to start in.

Awhile back when I first got my 2002 super crew there was this odd 6" long antenna mounted on the roof. For like a cell phone? So I thought. Soooo being a genius, I cut it off right at the base.
Ever sense then my upper console compass went on the fritz. It would come and just have everything lit up, and turns off and keep doing that. Eventually that stopped and it just never came on again.

About the time I noticed my compass wasn't working I noticed map lights (switchable lights in either side of the dome light) weren't working. I couldn't turn them off. As well as my vanity lights behind my sunvisors. And then a little later I noticed my factory auto dimming mirror wasn't doing anything at all. No lights on it. Nothing. What boggles me, is all these things are supposed to be on the same circuit as the under hood light, and glove box light. Which both work fine.

Now I was thinking battery saver really... Is that a very SPECIFIC relay for that? Or can any really that fits in that spot work?

Also what about the GEM module?

The only thing that would make me lean towards that is when I was driving home today I was doing 70mph, I let off the gas and my speedometer dropped to 0, then back up to 70. I waited a second and let off the accelorator, and it did it again. Jumped from 70 to 0. Could have just been a fluke?

Is there anyone out there that had had similar issues? It has fixed a similar issue? Or has the knowledge to know what's going on? I would really appreciate it. This kind of stuff keeps me awake at night.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Any chance water is leaking in where you cut the antenna? I'm too busy to look up your fuses, but have you checked them all?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Any chance water is leaking in where you cut the antenna? I'm too busy to look up your fuses, but have you checked them all?
Yes I have checked that antenna mount for leaks. It looks like it works off conduction rather than running the antenna right through the roof.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I also replaced the bcm and fuse box without any difference what I can remember, I had an employee of mine replace my cruise control and he ended up pinching wires shorting out the lights on the cruise control and now it only shows cruise is on after I turn it on, and set it. But no lights on the button. Could it be a clock spring causing these issues??

Last edited by Tasteslikeink; 09-15-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:38 AM
May be some wires are short circuited or something, just a thought...

Old 08-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Just bought these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401171278113

A friend of mine hit a mailbox with the passengers side mirror and my inspection is due end of the month so here's hoping I don't have to do to much.. I have an 07 FX4 with power mirrors but nothing else.

Quick Reply: Vanity lights, map lights, auto mirror no work :(