1997 - 2003 F-150

Steering Gear..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Gear..

I've searched the forums, but didn't really find anything that pertained to me, without reading through worthless threads (they should be deleted by mods, that's another topic). So, my steering gear has been leaking and now I have play in it, making it harder to drive on slanted roads or over uneven bumps. My question is, are there any "better" boxes/gears that work (complete bolt up) on a 98 f150? Is there a brand that stands out as being able to last longer than others? tighter turn radius(ours turn tight already)? Ones that come pre-adjusted from factory that have better results on being "right"? Captain Morgan and I were curious before doing a swap in the next couple of days. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm gonna say no.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Did you put power steering fluid in it that had a seal conditioner/softener? Seal conditioners/softeners or seal stop leak chemicals do their job but when left in too long, they soften seals to the point that they don't seal any more. There is nothing wrong with the Ford steering box.
I haven't looked at mine but usually there is a screw adjustment on the top of the box that takes out excessive play.
I would suggest you check all of the 4 tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm for play. And while you are at it, check the lower ball joints. I recently found out that my tie rod ends were loose and the idler arm had a little play in it along with a bad ball joint on the passenger side.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
The adjustment won't fix excessive play in the center of the box if there isn't play out the outside of the range.

Some lightning guys have gone to rack and pinion but it's a pretty extensive swap/mod

Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 AM
I have not fiddled with my steering box. But, it's similar to all of the boxes for generations before. I once bought a 59 Chevrolet Impala for $100 that had a half turn of play in the steering. I tightened the adjustment screw on the steering box and got it to 2" of play as recommended. I was at the end of the adjustment though.

I suspect you have some worn out tie rod ends, idler arm, and maybe pitman arm. They aren't that difficult to replace. A puller may help. I bought one from Harbor freight for about $12.

Steering boxes are more reliable that rack and pinion steering. Normally they never need replacement. The only one I ever had to replace was one I put some seal softener in the fluid. Bad mistake. After one year, it ate up the box seals, the high and low pressure hoses, and the pump seals.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:35 PM
The gear is certainly bad, where adjustment I wouldn't even mess with. You can see the steering shaft turn, pittman and everything, and the play is in the box itself. I just thought I had read of a bolt up swap, with a little "tougher" gear. I'm sure factory is all I need, but curiosity has been killing the cat lately. No biggy. I guess we can add this thread to those "worthless" threads I mentioned in the OP. Sorry about that

Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Zilla98
The gear is certainly bad, where adjustment I wouldn't even mess with. You can see the steering shaft turn, pittman and everything, and the play is in the box itself. I just thought I had read of a bolt up swap, with a little "tougher" gear. I'm sure factory is all I need, but curiosity has been killing the cat lately. No biggy. I guess we can add this thread to those "worthless" threads I mentioned in the OP. Sorry about that
That screw on the box is for adjusting the play in the box. Won't hurt to give it a try. But, if it is leaking, it must be replaced anyway. You should be able to get a good used one from a salvage yard.

Quick Reply: Steering Gear..