1997 - 2003 F-150

98 speedo/vss/trans questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 speedo/vss/trans questions

As some of you may know I just swapped a supercharged 5.4 lightning engine and 4r100 into a 98 4.6/4r70 truck.

I used a 98 na 5.4 computer, engine harness and fuse box harness to get it running and had computer calibrated to bigger injectors and maf.

The truck will not shift while in Drive position. It will drive manually in 1rst, 2nd and reverse. The tuner said the PCM was not receiving any speedo signal for the trans to know when to properly shift.

I was told that a E4OD pcm can control a 4r100..

Ok, this truck has a sensor on the rear end, is this the VSS sensor that the speedometer reads from then sends a mph signal to the PCM?

The speedometer is not working so where would i need to look first? VSS sensor on rear? diff pin outs on cab harness? bad cluster (which i doubt because all other gauges work)

Thanks in advance for any help

JD

BTW a 98 5.4/e4od and 98 4.6/4r70 wiring schematic would be so helpful!

Old 06-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
What year is the motor from?
Look at that truck's equipage for the answers.
This is why research is needed before the swap begins not after the fact.
Big motors, superchargers and power get in the way of important things first.
Yes indeed the PCM needs TPS position, RPM and drive line speed to make those decisions on up and down shifting.
Good luck.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
What year is the motor from?
Look at that truck's equipage for the answers.
This is why research is needed before the swap begins not after the fact.
Big motors, superchargers and power get in the way of important things first.
Yes indeed the PCM needs TPS position, RPM and drive line speed to make those decisions on up and down shifting.
Good luck.
supercharged 5.4s were equipped in 99 to 04 lightnings..

I am not the owner of the truck, yes he should have done more research. That is beside the fact of what I am asking and needing.

The PCM has "tps position and rpms" Im not needing that. Please read again of what I'm asking for.

Hopefully someone with useful knowledge will chime in..

Old 06-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The Sensor on the tail of the transmission is the OSS (Output Shaft Speed Sensor) and the one on the differential is the one that is used for the speedometer. There is also a TSS (Turbine Speed Sensor) which is up on top of the transmission towards the bell housing. The transmission should shift fine w/o the VSS input as I ran into a similar issue with my V10 swap.

I have no solid info about the E4OD PCM, but it sounds accurate. However, there were a couple types of solenoid packs and they need to match for converter lock up. One was on/off and the other was PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)

FYI, no need to be c o c k y. If you don't like someones answer, you could be a little more tactful with your response please.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I found a dash harness from a 98 5.4/e4od truck. Gonna look at the pin outs on it and more than likely swap it out. I feel like my problem lies in the 3 plugs on the firewall going to dash harness not matching pins correctly. Once the cpm sees a mph signal the trans should start shifting

Quick Reply: 98 speedo/vss/trans questions