1997 - 2003 F-150

Fuel Problem

Old 06-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Problem

2000 F150 V8 5.4 XLT

I ran out of gas and the truck won't start back up. Sprayed ether in the intake and floored it and it races for about 3 seconds and dies. I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump or the fuel line. Obviously hoping it's the fuel line but what are my chances of that?

I usually get low on gas and have to fill up at the last second and I have run the truck much lower on fuel than it was. I went less than 14 miles with the "LOW FUEL" light on and the truck died on me. Like I said, it usually runs on less fuel than the gauge was showing me. It was still in the red with the gauge and I have had it running under the red. (Money is tight)

Trying to find out whether it is an easy fix or is it going to be a problem. The only things I can think of are fuel pump and fuel lines. When I turned the key to the "ON" position, I heard the noise that I thought was the pump but my uncle thought it might be the solenoid. The noise happens after about 2-3 seconds after turning the key to the "ON" position. What do you think it is? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you constantly run the tank low, the fuel pump could be shot. It needs to be immersed in fuel to keep it cool. Money may be tight but you are wasting dollars to save pennies.

Change the fuel filter, if that doesn't fix it be prepared to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Yeah I realized that too late... Stupid mistake but I am glad it happened now with nothing to do rather than happening on a busy day. Guess who won't be running their truck under a 1/4 tank?

Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 PM
If I do have to drop the fuel tank, should I fix the assembly I have now by just replacing the pump or just buy a whole new assembly?

Old 06-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
There is a fuel pressure test port!
5$ spent to keep the tank full when it's down a quarter cost no more than the same 5$ when the tank is empty.
You gota get by the poor thought process. It only causes you a hassle.
Good luck.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Yeah that's the plan from now on. I always thought it would cost more for me to stop there 3 times per week than it would for me to stop once per week. With a $350 repair bill and $50 for towing, I guess I spend more waiting rather than keeping it full.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 PM
glc
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
There is a fuel pressure test port!
Go to the parts store and buy a fuel filter and the tool to change it. Rent a fuel pressure gauge while you are there.

Go home, replace the fuel filter, make sure you have at least 1/4 tank of fuel, hook up the pressure gauge and turn the key on. If you don't have at least 28 psi fuel pressure, the pump is likely shot.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Thank you so much... I will let you know how this turns out. Hoping for the best but still expecting it to be the pump. Thinking about what you said about how I usually run it lower and that it is supposed to be cooled by the fuel around it, I probably slowly burned it up by the repeated low tanks of fuel and that might be why this one didn't last as long as it normally does. Pump might've had enough and burned up. Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Fixed

Threw a new pump on the old assembly after pushing down the schrader valve located on top of the fuel rails on the passenger side. $30 for the new pump. Hardest part was taking the fuel tank off with all the fuel lines and wires. Took 3 hours with delivery time included for the part. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:43 PM
glc
Did you replace the fuel filter? That needs to be done every 30k, and with you running the tank low so much it's probably full of crud.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:24 PM
That's my project for this weekend. Going to replace the fuel filter, air filter, and then do all of my undercoating underneath the truck. I was thinking about getting a silver undercoat to match my secondary paint color.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Problem