1997 - 2003 F-150

AC not working

Old 06-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC not working

Hello,
I drive a '97 F150 and my AC went out. My BF and I went and bought a AC charger can "AC Pro" and followed the instructions. I noticed that my compressor turns on and off about every 3-4 seconds. When we tried to load the can the gauge goes from the green in the middle and then to red when the compressor turns on and off. My AC still blows warm air. Has anyone had this problem before? We're thinking it's the compressor. Can anyone help?
Thank you

Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:45 AM
I agree, take it to somebody that knows automotive AC. The compressor is expensive and you can't usually just change it by itself, you have to change some of the other components and have the system flushed and checked before it can be charged. If you don't, it will void the warranty on your new compressor. And actually it sounds like your expansion valve is bad, just a guess. The AC system is not one you can just throw parts at, you will end up chasing your tail.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It actually sounds normal for a mostly discharged system and the cheap can gauge but they just don't know what they're doing.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosema
Hello,
I drive a '97 F150 and my AC went out. My BF and I went and bought a AC charger can "AC Pro" and followed the instructions. I noticed that my compressor turns on and off about every 3-4 seconds. When we tried to load the can the gauge goes from the green in the middle and then to red when the compressor turns on and off. My AC still blows warm air. Has anyone had this problem before? We're thinking it's the compressor. Can anyone help?
Thank you
I would guess that the system needs more refrigerant. But, to really know, a full gauge set is required.

My 02 AC leaks and sometimes it takes 2 cans to get it working. My compressor is weak but as long as keeping it full of refrigerant keeps it working, that is what I will do. Eventually, I will have to change the compressor along with the drier/reservoir and clean the orifice tube.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 PM
My 97 needs a can every year, slow leak somewhere which I am sure will eventually get worse. I bought a proper lo/hi gauge set for about 50 bucks, does the job... Compressor cycling usually means low refrigerant. That gauge on the AC pro only reads low side, not adequate to know when the system is properly charged. Using google, you should be able to find a pressure chart.. be aware that the pressures change with temperature, so a proper chart will have a table with the lo/hi pressures for various ambient temperatures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC not working