1997 - 2003 F-150

Window Wont Roll Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Wont Roll Up

Hello, I have a 2001 F-150 Supercrew. My Passenger side door previously working, suddenly died today in the Open position. Neither the driver nor passenger door controls work. I hear nothing to indicate it is working. I have googled a few things and seen many responses to tap the motor with a hammer. I have removed the panel, and looked behind the weather barrier. I do not see any motor components that are accessible for this finely tuned "hit it with a hammer" solution. I have tried using a small metal rod/hook to jiggle the window, and used a rubber mallet and screwdriver to try and jar the lift arms a bit. Still nothing. Any thoughts? Is there anyway to get it in the UP position manually?

Thanks
Mj

Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 AM
I may not have fully understood the issue but it sounds like it could be your switch. Get some Electrical Contact Cleaner like Pow-R-Wash and remove the window switch and spray (flush!!) all the connections , let it dry for about 10 minutes and put it back together.
And no, there is no way to roll the window up manually. You will have to take the glass off of the regulator and push it up by hand. Then you will need to tape it up or put a block/stick of wood under it to hold it closed. There are a bunch of videos online about how to change out your window regulator, they all start with how to get the window up out of the way.
Good Luck

Old 06-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You may have a broken regulator if the window will not move with switch controls. Can you move the window by hand? If that is the problem, you can replace the regulator. It can also be the switches. There is an excellent "How To" in the Articles and How To section that shows how to clean the switch contacts. I had to do it on my 2005 and it solved my problem.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks Guys. I will look into cleaning the switch contacts. Im not sure I will mess with replacing the regulator myself. I think someone noted that it was ~$300 for parts and service.

One additional question. Does anyone know if the controls (Driver and Passenger) are wired in sequence? Meaning since I disconnected the wiring harness between switch and regulator on passenger side. Will this disable the driver switch control as well? I ask because i was testing with the driver switch while I had the passenger switch disconnected. That might be an invalid test.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Global Moderator &

I did two regulators on my 2005 and there are How To's on the chore. The Dorman is a good replacement and cost about $125 at parts stores. Only takes about 2 hours to do even if you're an old fart and have to figure your way through it.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:53 AM
Thanks for all the information and help. I was able to resolve this. It turns out the switch controls are indeed wired serially. So by disconnecting the passenger switch control, the driver control was effectively disconnected. Not sure why I missed this seeing as how there are no other wires going to the door. :-) As soon as I reconnected the switch , it worked like a champ. Ultimately the fix was most likely all the banging and jiggling or disconnect and reconnect of the switch control is what fixed it.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Window Wont Roll Up

Good job figuring it out and thanks for posting the fix.

Quick Reply: Window Wont Roll Up