1997 - 2003 F-150

Shifter Sloppy and makes weird noise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Sloppy and makes weird noise.

As the post says my column shifter is loose and makes a weird noise.... I'm going to try to explain it the best I can....

When you take it from park to reverse it has to actually go to the Neutral position of the shifter BUT once its in the gear you can put it up to the R no problem, its like this for every gear R has to go to N N has to go to D D has to go to 2 but every gear easily slides back to its appropriate Letter/Number once shifted. Its not the shift indicator as I just replaced that and its also not the 2 torx bolts under the dash that hold the shifting bracket in place. I am wondering if its the shift cable it self? The noise it makes resembles a zip tie ZIIIIIIIPPPPPPPP.

Its a 1998 4.6L

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a couple of bolts under the steering column that come loose/ Think they might be allen head but its been so long since I had that problem I forgot.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
There are a couple of bolts under the steering column that come loose/ Think they might be allen head but its been so long since I had that problem I forgot.
Its not that checked it. its tight there.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Have you checked your shifter bushing, I just changed mine and sounds like you might check it

Old 07-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
shifter bushing, as well as the indicator cable adjustment bracket fails.

See link: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...inter-fix.html

There is information in the thread about how to fix the adjustment bracket point if its broken. But the shifter bushings themselves is a separate issue, which typically makes the adjuster bracket worse or makes it fail.

Quick Reply: Shifter Sloppy and makes weird noise.