1997 - 2003 F-150

Need power

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power for windows

Hello,
Help me please. I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4x4 with a 4.6 l, I recently installed a power window, lock, and mirror system donated from another truck. I thought it was going to be a plug and play but it's turning into a nightmare. I have everything installed except for the mirrors. I even put a new fuse box in that should have the power functions but I used my current module. The locks work just fine but I can't seem to get the windows to power up. I need help.

Last edited by Swh2odog; 05-29-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Welcome!

Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
You failed to fully understand how the GEM controls the power window function.
The system uses relays to power the window motors and has to reverse the polarity to run the motor in either direction through the arm rest switches.
Then it depends on the year and if the GEM is programmed to do the function.
In the case of a super crew, it's all different again with lock out switch etc. and different arm rest switches. Been there before and learned.
Little known is the GEM has current sensing that prevents the window motor from blowing a fuse when stopped against it's full up position and full down position as well as a head or arm or fingers caught in a closing up position.
IMHO you are missing a number of circuit parts and maybe GEM programming.
Unless you hang with it and can sort it all out, I would remove what you have and return to manual operation and forget about it..
Said another way, there is more to it than meets the eye.
Good luck.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I kinda figured out the gem module had something to do with it. But I was wondering if I could just get a gem with same model year but with the added power functions? Would this work and solve my problems?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:07 PM
I continued with install. I did not need a new fuse box or reprogramming of gem module. current one was fine. All I had to do was run a 5" long 12 volt power supply from the power locks to power the control switches. From there I bypassed the auto roll up and down feature, by splicing two wires together. It took a while to figure it out but well worth it. The only missing feature is the auto function but it's all good I would rather hold down a button than crank up the window. There's always a way around everything just don't give up. Thanks for the replys.

Quick Reply: Need power