1997 - 2003 F-150

axle/gear question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axle/gear question

so my rear end just took a dump on me today and i have a few questions about what to replace the stock stuff with.

First off i want to replace the factory 3.55's with 4.88 yukon gears. Has anyone used these gears and if so whats your input on them.

While its apart i would like to put a locker in it and detroit true trac looks to be the best option. Thoughts?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that it a big step up in gearing. Your RPMs are going to be significantly higher. You'll take a big hit on gas mileage, and the speedometer will be off unless you compensate.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. To each his own. Just be aware of the consequences.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually it depends where you drive most. If you use the truck off highway most you'll actually get better mileage but when you hit the highway it will be much less..

Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
For speedometer correction, use "Yellow Box". I don't know how I have not stumbled across this before, but I just bought two of them. The speedo has been wrong in my truck ever since the V10 swap and my Viper is getting new gears this week.

I have never done a gear swap. Are you planning to tackle it yourself? If so, you'll need some special tools. I went with Superior brand gears for the Viper, but don't have any feedback yet. I will be doing the work myself, but will take the assembly to a local diff shop to make sure it's correct.

Quick Reply: axle/gear question