1997 - 2003 F-150

97 F150 weird no start

Old 04-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 weird no start

Ok so here's the situation. 97 f150 4.6 100321 miles on it. Truck has sat for 8 mos. tried to start today and nothing. Keep in mind that the last day it was drivin it ran excellent. No issues at all. So when it cranks it sounds normal for about the first 5-7 seconds and then sounds like it's spinning really fast as in if it lost compression. I did get it to run for about 15 seconds sounding normal but then it quit like it was out of gas. Here's the funny thing. After it sits for like 20 min it cranks over sounding normal again for the first 10 seconds and then goes fast sounding again. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Are you sure its still cranking? The starter driver may be disengaging from the flywheel? Also Gas goes back after about 30 days of sitting, (8 Months for sure). It looses all it Octane because of the 10% blend. There is some stuff called "Mechanic in a Bottle" That can fix old gas to get a motor running. Don't know if this helps or not Good luck. here is the link below. We use this stuff on quads that will not start, 48 hrs later, they run like new.
http://b3cfuel.com/products/mechanic-in-a-bottle

Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 PM
No it's definitely spinning over. I haven't had time to mess with it today but I'm wondering if maybe the lifters have all bled down. I read a few things about that happening. Who knows I'm kinda just throwing $h!t at the wall and seeing what happens.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM
I have never heard of lifters not pumping up after sitting for along time. Give her a shot of starting fluid and see if she try to start. (if no start) Next pull a coil and plug in a spark plug, ground it and see if there is any spark? If ya got spark and fuel then pull a spark plug and see if it is wet with fuel. If wet ,engine may be getting flooded w/ fluid. Compression test is in order to find out. Don't know Bad gas, washed out cylinders???? see if oil is over fill and smells like gas??

Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I tried starting fluid. Did nothing. But then later on like I said the truck did start. Can't really verify oil level the dipstick is broke. I pulled it out shows oil has a gassy smell but not sure if it's overfill. Going back today. I'll update if I find anything

Old 04-24-2015, 06:24 PM
check your starter

After the starter cools down it will crank again , sometimes the pinion don't engage and it sounds like a loud fan

Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Well mysteriously today it started and runs just fine. I honestly think something may have made a home in the intake or air cleaner and it got sucke in when I tried initially starting it. Ran rough for a min and then was fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 F150 weird no start