1997 - 2003 F-150

Bigger tires help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger tires help!!

Hey y'all this is my first post and I need some help. I'm currently in the market for some tires and have decided on Nitto Trails 315 with my stock Fx4 17in rims. My tire guy assured me I could fit those with just cranking the t-bars and a little bit of trimming. Has anyone done 315s with just torsions cranked? And I'm wondering what gears I would need, or if I don't necessarily need them. I figured since its a 5-speed, it might be easier on my tranny and stuff than the autos, but I could be wrong... Any tips?
Thanks

Last edited by 03FX45-Speed; 03-05-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 285/75/16 on my truck with the 2" leveling kit and my tires rub the bumper when i turn, i had to trim the plastic on the bottom of the bumper. Just looking at the difference in tire size you will need to do more than a just a little trimming.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 AM
You'll need to crank the torsion bars all the way up most likely to clear them and then trim the corner,of the valence or just remove it. You might also have to do some minor trimming on the backside of the wheel well plastic and you might just have to deal with some rubbing at full lock.

The bigger problem is that those tires are rather wide for a 7.5" wheel, so you may have trouble getting them to wear properly.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
You'll need to crank the torsion bars all the way up most likely to clear them and then trim the corner,of the valence or just remove it. You might also have to do some minor trimming on the backside of the wheel well plastic and you might just have to deal with some rubbing at full lock.

The bigger problem is that those tires are rather wide for a 7.5" wheel, so you may have trouble getting them to wear properly.
+2 on getting them to wear properly. a 7.5" wheel will not flatten out the tread. I would either get wheels with the tires or cut back to something with a narrower width.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those tires with that motor and rear end will make you feel like the Flintstones.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
Those tires with that motor and rear end will make you feel like the Flintstones.
My old 98 had the 4.6 with 3.55 gears and tires heavier than those, didn't feel like the Flintstones until you got up into the mountains. And that was with an auto, he's got a manual so he can choose his shift points better.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You must of had a good one or my dad had a bad one, guess it depends on how you look at it.

He had the same truck/motor/gears with the auto trans and with stock tires it was the most underpowered truck he ever owned, was so bad that he actually traded it off after only having it for a few months and since he bought it new, took a beating at the dealership.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
You must of had a good one or my dad had a bad one, guess it depends on how you look at it.

He had the same truck/motor/gears with the auto trans and with stock tires it was the most underpowered truck he ever owned, was so bad that he actually traded it off after only having it for a few months and since he bought it new, took a beating at the dealership.
Could go either way I suppose, I came from a 86 Honda crx to that and now in a 2011 f150 with the 5.0, so I can say it felt world's better than the Honda, but felt slow compared to the current truck, but the current truck also has almost double the power so I don't have anything relative to compare too haha.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:35 AM
215's should fit without touching the torsion bars. A little inside trimming to prevent rub at full lock will be needed, but it only takes a minute and you will never notice where you trimmed. Use a dremel with a cut off wheel. Works great and makes for a clean cut. Stock wheels should be OK too.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:49 AM
35" m/t toyos with just torsion bars cranked and valance trim only rub is at full turn

Quick Reply: Bigger tires help!!