1997 - 2003 F-150

Engine switched off whle in reverse. No codes and I was able to start it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine switched off whle in reverse. No codes and I was able to start it.

Truck: 2001 F-150 4.6L

I had something rather weird happen tonight. I was backing up in our driveway, pulling into a turnout to park it. The engine seemed to just switch itself off while I was in reverse, going about 2 mph with low RPMs. It's not like it lost fuel or misfired, rather the engine just went off. The lights and dash were still on, however.

I switched the key to off, then start about 5 seconds later and it started right up with no problems. No "check engine light" ever came on, so I don't know if there are any codes to pull.

I'm wondering what I should keep an eye on here and where I should start inspecting.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You might want to scan for codes anyway.

Your idle air controller may be getting dirty. Wouldn't hurt to pull it and the throttle body and clean them.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point. I went out with two different scanners and they both report "no codes".

Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
On the intake air controller, they can be cleaned with spray cleaner until it comes out clean.
However it is not a guarantee it won't happen again in the distant future.
My experience: cleaned mine several times over the last few years.
Now in cold weather is sticks closed for cold starting and is still clean to the sight. Once engine warms it up it works ok.
Conclusion is the spring loaded 'dash pot' function inside has a problem that you cannot get to so it now has become replacement time.
Take the top cover off the engine. It is located right on the top toward the firewall. One connector and two screws and a gasket.
Thought you and others might benefit from this experience.
Good luck.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:47 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you clean the IAC with WD-40 and work the plunger with a screwdriver, that will help lube it so it won't stick.

Quick Reply: Engine switched off whle in reverse. No codes and I was able to start it.