1997 - 2003 F-150

Starting issue

Old 11-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting issue

Good morning. This is my first time using this so I hope I'm doing it right. I have a 2000 F150 XLT, 5.4/330. A couple months back, my truck wouldn't start. I'd get tension from the ignition when the keys was turned otherwise, I got nothing. I thought it was the starter so I replaced it, after I figured out that I needed to take the front tire off. Didn't help at all so the next logical step, in my head at least, was the starter solenoid under the hood. Truck started just fine after that. However, it is doing the same thing now. I checked all wires and they are tight. The starter is tight and flush with trans. I have an automatic and the column shifter seems a little loose. I last started the truck a couple weeks ago and it started fine. It's been sitting because my front brakes are shot. I do have the front, passenger side brake caliper and pads off.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I can't afford to take it in and I'm a YouTube mechanic. I look up the issues and hope I can pull the repair off.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the battery ?? check that there is no corrosion on the cables,, you may not be able to see it?? If you have problem with trans shifter try neutral to start or try moving shifter around to start,, in park.

Also just to make sure check all the wiring so it is correctly connected???

Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Fix the sloppy shifter, you likely do not have the lever in either the PARK or NEUTRAL positions down on the switch on the transmission and, if that's the case, the starter is PREVENTED from operating.

Sloppy shifters are usually due to loose or missing Torx-headed bolts on the lever mechanism or worn out shift tube bushings. Read this WHOLE thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...ty-switch.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting issue