1997 - 2003 F-150

Composite intake manifold cracking

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Composite intake manifold cracking

Hello guys,

I´m new here and about to buy a 2000 F150 7700 SuperCab 4wd. As soon as I own it, I put up some pics for introduction.

I just found that statment while surfing the www.

"Composite intake manifold cracking: 1996 - 2001 Ford 4.6L & 5.4L engines a nylon composite intake manifold produced by DuPont. The intake manifold is prone to cracking, which results in coolant leakage. Ford began installing a revised intake manifold late in the 2001 model year to prevent this issue. A class action lawsuit was filed in behalf of Ford owners and later settled. Owners of problematic model year cars & trucks were elegible to receive an updated intake manifold within 90 days of the settlement. "

What are the visible differences between old and new manifolds so I can check if it was replaced already? Can you post some pics please?

Is there anything else, I should carefully check before buying that car?

Thanks and have a nice day

Ben

Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ben7982
Hello guys,

I´m new here and about to buy a 2000 F150 7700 SuperCab 4wd. As soon as I own it, I put up some pics for introduction.

I just found that statment while surfing the www.

"Composite intake manifold cracking: 1996 - 2001 Ford 4.6L & 5.4L engines a nylon composite intake manifold produced by DuPont. The intake manifold is prone to cracking, which results in coolant leakage. Ford began installing a revised intake manifold late in the 2001 model year to prevent this issue. A class action lawsuit was filed in behalf of Ford owners and later settled. Owners of problematic model year cars & trucks were elegible to receive an updated intake manifold within 90 days of the settlement. "
What are the visible differences between old and new manifolds so I can check if it was replaced already? Can you post some pics please?

Is there anything else, I should carefully check before buying that car?

Thanks and have a nice day

Ben

I ran into it while replacing a front cover a few months ago and replaced mine that was cracked but not leaking yet. I believe they swapped the styles from aluminum to composite in the 99 to 2000 year and then updated again. I had the older style composite.

This is where they crack in the cooling crossover part:
Name:  20140909_100757_zps55e3ad8b.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  97.5 KB

New style/updated one on left

Name:  intake_zpsa6dc657d.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  90.9 KB

Again new one with larger valley stuffer on left:
Name:  intake1_zps25b9bd0b.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  81.3 KB

Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your post, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The only differences I could find on the top side are the following. The underside I won´t see when I looking under the bonnet.

Are there some more details to identivy the old vs. new manifold?
Codes, Identnumber, Inprints....

Cheers Ben

Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ben7982
Thanks for your post, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The only differences I could find on the top side are the following. The underside I won´t see when I looking under the bonnet.

Are there some more details to identivy the old vs. new manifold?
Codes, Identnumber, Inprints....

Cheers Ben
I didn't notate any other differences or stampings. The part number I ordered was 2L1Z9424A. You will know looking at the front of engine and into the engine valley if its the new style with larger valley stuffer in it.Im currently in TN on a project and wont be back to NC to actually look at truck to find any other markings for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Composite intake manifold cracking