1997 - 2003 F-150

I bought a plug spitter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought a plug spitter

1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition. 5.4 shat a plug. I picked it up because it is in amazing shape despite the engine and a low price. I bought a 5553 timesert kit because the hole had been helicoiled before and the 5553 is the bigsert from what I understand. If it doesn't take, it's getting a V10.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
she's clean. If you decide to part it out, I need the front clip

Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 PM

Sorry, parting out is not an option!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Nice and clean.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition. 5.4 shat a plug. I picked it up because it is in amazing shape despite the engine and a low price. I bought a 5553 timesert kit because the hole had been helicoiled before and the 5553 is the bigsert from what I understand. If it doesn't take, it's getting a V10.
I likes the way yous think.

Sure wish there was an easy way to throw a 3v V10 in her. I'd be all over that lol.

Nice! It's worth investing in that kit.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Well... #7 repair worked fine, but it's still running terrible. Turns out #4 is dead. I swapped the coil, I replaced the spark plug (actually all of them) I swapped injectors and #4 won't fire. It has injector pulse and the coil will fire when plugged in to the #4 connector. My compression tester doesn't reach down those holes, but that's the only thing left.

A 3v V10 Expy would make a sweet tow rig. I'm sure I could make it propel itself, but passing emissions would be a challenge. I know I'd need to do engine and trans, or standalone transmission controller.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:46 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You should be able to "rent" a compression tester kit from a parts store.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Well... #7 repair worked fine, but it's still running terrible. Turns out #4 is dead. I swapped the coil, I replaced the spark plug (actually all of them) I swapped injectors and #4 won't fire. It has injector pulse and the coil will fire when plugged in to the #4 connector. My compression tester doesn't reach down those holes, but that's the only thing left.

A 3v V10 Expy would make a sweet tow rig. I'm sure I could make it propel itself, but passing emissions would be a challenge. I know I'd need to do engine and trans, or standalone transmission controller.
You could have just lost a follower, they don't always make noises.

You know, they sound the worst when #4 is the one that's missing. The engines sounds like it blew..more serious than just the coil. Just when #4 is out, they sound exceptionally bad lol.

Make sure that EGR valve isn't stuck open. Just crack it loose and shove a thin steel shim in between the valve and elbow port. Totally block it off. That will save allot of time, horsing around and guess work. That may be enough to kill that cylinder if it wasn't quite up to par to begin with.

Has there been any work done to #4 in the past? Can you tell?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 AM

If a 3v dash would fit in my truck, that would be my next project, (a doner vehicle)-after I get this body work finished.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by glc
You should be able to "rent" a compression tester kit from a parts store.
I may do that - but I just don't think there is anything else it could be.

Originally Posted by jbrew
You could have just lost a follower, they don't always make noises.

You know, they sound the worst when #4 is the one that's missing. The engines sounds like it blew..more serious than just the coil. Just when #4 is out, they sound exceptionally bad lol.

Make sure that EGR valve isn't stuck open. Just crack it loose and shove a thin steel shim in between the valve and elbow port. Totally block it off. That will save allot of time, horsing around and guess work. That may be enough to kill that cylinder if it wasn't quite up to par to begin with.

Has there been any work done to #4 in the past? Can you tell?
Does the EGR affect #4 more than the others? It's a solid miss and when I pull the injector plug there is no difference at all. Someone was definitely fighting an issue on this Expy. There are 3 brand new coils and the plugs look new - except #7 LOL. One of the new coils was atop #4. #2 injector had a broken pintle cap.

I can definitely hear a light noise on the passenger side which I thought was a plug leaking compression, but it wasn't. I'm hoping it's a lash adjuster or follower like you said. I'll pull the passenger cover and take a peek when I feel like touching this thing again.

On an unrelated note - it's sooooo much easier to hear a difference in idle when pulling injector plugs on the V8 compared to the V10

Old 10-26-2014, 11:08 AM

I may do that - but I just don't think there is anything else it could be.

Does the EGR affect #4 more than the others? It's a solid miss and when I pull the injector plug there is no difference at all. Someone was definitely fighting an issue on this Expy. There are 3 brand new coils and the plugs look new - except #7 LOL. One of the new coils was atop #4. #2 injector had a broken pintle cap.

I can definitely hear a light noise on the passenger side which I thought was a plug leaking compression, but it wasn't. I'm hoping it's a lash adjuster or follower like you said. I'll pull the passenger cover and take a peek when I feel like touching this thing again.

On an unrelated note - it's sooooo much easier to hear a difference in idle when pulling injector plugs on the V8 compared to the V10
No, but I'd eliminate the EGR from being a possible addition to the problem. Like I explained earlier, -because that's what happens when they hang open, = misfire.

Could be a bent valve as well. So you don't have a compression tester? I would have never guessed lol.

I think I'd compression test it before yanking the cover.

I wonder what it would take for the 2 valve v10 to push it up to 400hp 600trq ? Or at least the same numbers as the 3v.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew
So you don't have a compression tester?
I do, but it's old and can't get down in those spark plug wells.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Keep us updated! We are really interested in this project!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:28 AM

I bought a compression tester, but it doesn't work because of the modular design of not having threads in the spark plug hole for the first 1/2 inch. You guys could have warned me! OK, I should have known...

Old 10-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
How "hot" is the spark coming off the coil? Is it bright? Can you hear it?

Quick Reply: I bought a plug spitter