1997 - 2003 F-150

o2

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2

I have a 2003 f-150 with the 4.6 v8. It has 262158 miles and I just changed the plugs for the second time. My question is should I change the o2 sensors. They have never been changed. There are no noticeable drivability issues, but I keep reading that they should be changed every 100,000 miles. What is the determining factor?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Arvin J.
I have a 2003 f-150 with the 4.6 v8. It has 262158 miles and I just changed the plugs for the second time. My question is should I change the o2 sensors. They have never been changed. There are no noticeable drivability issues, but I keep reading that they should be changed every 100,000 miles. What is the determining factor?
^^^ Yes.

From the first second they are used, they deteriorate. The switchrates become 'lazy', and precise A/F control suffers. Contaminants in the exhaust, the temp swings, all start to impact the active substrate. It's one hell of a harsh environment they live in.

Ford sets the threshold for throwing O2 codes too high - it's to their benefit to do so to dodge Emissions components warranty claims as long as possible ( source: Mike Troyer). The O2's will have long since started affecting driveability and economy.

Change the front two for sure - those are used for A/F control feedback. The rear two monitor the cats for health. At that mileage, I'd just R&R all four.

good luck

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^^ Yes.

From the first second they are used, they deteriorate. The switchrates become 'lazy', and precise A/F control suffers. Contaminants in the exhaust, the temp swings, all start to impact the active substrate. It's one hell of a harsh environment they live in.

Ford sets the threshold for throwing O2 codes too high - it's to their benefit to do so to dodge Emissions components warranty claims as long as possible ( source: Mike Troyer). The O2's will have long since started affecting driveability and economy.

Change the front two for sure - those are used for A/F control feedback. The rear two monitor the cats for health. At that mileage, I'd just R&R all four.

good luck
+1 Good advice.

Bob

Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 PM
o2

Thank you both for your reply and advice. Looks like I have a Saturday morning project.